Q. My ear feels clogged even after irrigating with peroxide. Why?

Answered by
Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have had issues with my left ear for the past two months. I normally clean my ears with peroxide. After I added drops of peroxide back last month, I noticed that when people spoke to me loudly I would hear wind sound in my ears. Also, my ears felt plugged and I heard thumping (heartbeat sound) in my ear.

Two days ago, I attempted to clean my ear with a home irrigation system. I was able to dislodge a large piece of dried, white wax. My ear felt the best in a long time. I was hearing clearly and the sounds in my ear went away.

Yesterday, my ear felt plugged again. So I irrigated my ear and nothing came out. But the plugged feeling and sound went away. This morning my ear felt plugged again, and I irrigated my ear and nothing came out. But my ear felt clear and the plugged feeling and sound went away. What is causing this issue? Why does it keep coming back?


This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It looks like your having a eustachian tube catarrh. This tube essentially ventilates both the ear and nose and in an event where this tube has got blocked, you might develop fullness and ringing sensation in the same ear.

Self-cleaning your ear is the most dangerous thing you can ever do. Never introduce peroxide or any thing under doctor's advice as it can be disastrous considering the ear and it is related structures to be one the most sensitive regions in the body.

Another possibility is that there could be some remnant wax in your ear which can be the reason for you developing this ringing sensation on a regular basis. You can consider using Soliwax ear drops three times a day for one week and then get the blob suctioned out by an ent specialist.

Other than this, take tablet Sinarest (Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine, and pseudoephedrine) or its equivalent one tablet two times a day after food for the next 1 week. Otrivin nasal drops thrice daily for five days should help.

Was this answer helpful?



This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My right ear is slightly blocked. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, Two days back, I had a severe pain in my right ear. One fine evening, the pain went severe starting from the head till the chin. I had visited an ENT doctor who removed a lot of earwax through EUM suction procedure. Since then, I got relief from the pain. But, I feel my right ear is s...  Read Full »

My son has the problem of tearing in one of the eyes since birth. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, My child is facing the problem of tears in one of his eyes since his birth. He is now 9 months old. I have consulted many ophthalmologists, and they all agreed that it would go automatically with daily massage. Though it has reduced now, still it comes. Otherwise, he is in finest health....  Read Full »

My daughter is diagnosed with middle ear infection. How to clear it up?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 17 years old. She had a cold for about four days when she started complaining of bad ear pain. She was seen in urgent care a week ago and was diagnosed with a middle ear infection. The APRN noted her ear was pretty angry and prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg. She is suppo...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.