Q. My father used Waxonil, after which both his ears are blocked, and he can hardly hear. Kindly help.

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

My father used Waxonil two weeks back. Since then, both his ears feel blocked, and he can hardly hear. He used the Waxonil again, hoping the wax would flow out and he would feel better, but it has gotten worse. His hearing has gone down drastically. As we are under lockdown, we cannot visit an ENT. He does not have ear pain or any other symptoms. Can you please suggest what to do or suggest any medicine we can use to help him? Thank you. He did not have any ear pain or fullness or anything before using the Waxonil, and his hearing was fine. He is 65-year-old, diabetic (under medication), and a hypothyroid patient (also under medication). He is also taking cholesterol-lowering medicines. Kindly give your opinion.

#

What happens when you put wax dissolution agents is, the wax absorbs the liquid and swells up. So the blockage increases more than before. Ideally, we need to see him in the OPD where we can suction it out. Otherwise, what I would suggest is to keep putting the wax drops profusely in one of the ears. Say five to six drops each time, for about five times daily. That way, we increase the chances of one side wax getting dissolved completely, and the other side will remain fine without getting blocked more. Once one side wax is out, we can repeat this on the other side. I assume that it is only wax that is bothering him, and there is no infection. The details you gave are almost sure that the issue is wax only and not any external ear infection. Once the lockdown is lifted, you can go and show it to an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) locally who can clean the wax. I hope this was helpful.

|