Q. We have been trying to conceive for the past eleven months. Can I take Clomid?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My TVS report says endometrium thickness is 1.2 cm, few tiny cystic areas, two to three small nabothian cysts, in right ovary 10 to 12 small scattered follicle (largest of 0.5*0.4cm), in left ovary 10 to 12 scattered follicle, simple anechoic cysts 1.4*1.2 cm in left ovary function and minimal free fluid in POD. Is it normal? Can I take Clomid? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Before taking Clomid (Clomifene), I would like to know:

1) Which day of the cycle was this scan done?

2) What day of the cycle are you in now?

3) What is the reason for Clomid intake?

Fluid in POD (pouch of Douglas) and a cyst in your left ovary signifies that ovulation has already taken place.

Kindly answer the above questions so that I can guide you accordingly.

My past period dates are :

1) Four months ago, it started on the twenty-seventh of that month and ended on the first of the next month.

2) Two months ago, it started on the second and ended on the fourth of that month.

3) One month ago, it started on the first and ended on the third.

4) Last month, it started on the eleventh and ended on the thirteenth.

The test was taken on the twenty-third day of the cycle. I have checked on the internet, Clomid helps in ovulation, and maybe I can get pregnant. That is the reason, and also I am trying to conceive for the last 11 months.

Kindly give your opinion.

#

I understand your concern. The scan is appropriate for the twenty-third day of the cycle. Ovulation is already occurring; hence there is no need to take ovulation induction drugs like Clomid. Clomid is only given in women in whom ovulation does not occur.

In your case, it would be better to time your intercourse for pregnancy to occur.

You have a 33-day cycle (on average). In such a case, ovulation occurs around the seventeenth to the eighteenth day of the cycle. Hence sexual intercourse around day fourteenth to the twenty-first day will lead to pregnancy.

Also, in case you want to take Clomid, it is better to consult a gynecologist and take from day five of the cycle and then monitor the follicle growth from day nine to the day the follicle reaches around 18 mm size. Then trigger or hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) will be given (this helps in ovum release and intercourse post that will help conceive).

My advice would be to have timed intercourse in the coming cycle. And then try Clomid if you do not conceive after that.

I hope this was helpful.

|