Q. I have excessive anxiety affecting work and making me anxious around people. Kindly help me.

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have depression and anxiety. I have excessive anxiety affecting my ability to work at my job and feeling insecure around one colleague. I had a similar episode that prevented me from working on the same shift as the staff that I am anxious around. Currently not on any medication. I use to take Escitalopram 10 mg once a day. Kindly give your opinion.

#

You may have a major depressive disorder. There is non-pharmacological management for it. It would be best if you tried to follow the below guidelines to deal with it:

1) You should do exercises daily for 30 to 45 minutes, like at least going for a walk.

2) You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily, sit at one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to control your thoughts. Just let it be.

3) You should eat healthy home-cooked foods, avoid junk foods.

4) You must drink enough water.

5) You should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you live away from your family.

6) You should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments.

7) You should take enough seven to eight hours of sleep daily.

8) You must avoid tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse.

9) Live your life, do not just spend it.

10) Be bold and confident.

If you still have symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, then you need to start medications for a short duration. Please, let me know if you want some help. I hope this was helpful.

I hope to try and follow your advice. I think I am very hopeless at the moment. I am finding it extremely hard to work with a particular individual at my workplace. I get palpitations even thinking of going to work and finding it impossible to control my anxiety as of now. Kindly give your opinion.

#

It will be better to start medications for it. I suggest you take tablet Escitalopram 10 mg daily in the morning after breakfast and tablet Clonazepam mouth dissolving 0.5mg when you have a panic attack. You can take maximum Clonazepam mouth dissolving two tablets per day. You need to put it on your tongue, and it will melt down. I hope that it will help you.

I am unable to get Clonazepam mouth dissolving tablets. It is not available here. But I already have Clonazepam 0.5 mg tablets. Will it do? If so, how should I take it? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Yes, you can take tablet Clonazepam 0.5 mg. but it will take time to give effect. Mouth dissolving will give immediate effect and will give you relief from a panic attack. If you do not have any option, you can take tablet Clonazepam (0.5 mg) half tablet half hour before meeting your seniors or client (that particular individual). I hope this was helpful.

|