Q. Is there a possibility to cure cloacal anomaly before birth?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Oct 03, 2019

I have been blessed with a baby girl last year. However, she is suffering from cloacal disease and has only one opening. Doctor has operated her and did way to pass the stools. She is not having her anal opening. During pregnancy, it has been observed that she does not have one kidney, she was not having properly developed back, etc. But it all recovered in 8th-month sonography. Is this a sign of the disease? Is it curable during pregnancy? Is it possible to avoid it before the birth of a child? I wanted to know.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I have read your question in detail, and I know that you are very concerned about your child. The absent anal opening is due to a congenital anomaly. Usually, when one congenital anomaly is present, there are chances that other congenital anomalies like absent kidney or cardiac defects are present. It is possible to detect these anomalies during level two scan done during 20 weeks of pregnancy. However, it is unfortunate that it cannot be treated during pregnancy.

Medical science is still not that advance to cure these defects while the mother is pregnant. It is also not possible to avoid these kinds of anomalies before birth because these are rare defects and are not related to disease or environment. It is related to genes of mother and father. I hope this will help you.

| 

Ask a Childbirth Educator Now