Q. Are common cold medications safe for a breastfeeding mother?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

My wife is having a runny nose and severe throat pain since today morning. She does not have a fever, and she has taken a Levocetirizine tablet. She is a breastfeeding mother. What to do?

#

I have read your query, and I am sorry for such discomfort. You have mentioned symptoms of runny nose and throat pain since today morning. It is probably a common cold, possibly due to a viral infection. Since she is a lactating mother, I would suggest the following:

1. Tablet Levocetirizine one tablet before bedtime for 3 to 4 days.

2. Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg once or twice a day for throat pain.

3. Apply Vicks VapoRub 2 to 3 times a day over the external surface of the nose if there is nasal congestion.

4. Do warm water gargle 2 to 3 times a day.

5. If she drinks tea, add ginger to it to soothe throat irritation.

6. Drink plenty of water.

7. Avoid any cold food or water.

8. Take adequate rest.

9. Wear a mask while feeding the baby to prevent the spread of droplets while sneezing.

10. Avoid antibiotics for now because the duration of symptoms is one day only. However, if the symptoms persist for five days despite suggested measures, consider taking an antibiotic.

I hope you find my reply helpful and valuable.

Please follow up if you have any further related queries.

Take care.

Thanks.

|