Q. I have cold and cough along with shortness of breath for the past 4 days. What should I do?

Dr. Ama Siddiqui
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I have a cold and a dry cough. Sometimes I feel that I am short of breath. It is going on for like four days now. What should I do?

I am currently taking Neozep for my cold and Solmux for my cough.

#

This ongoing pandemic is confusing to rule out any upper respiratory symptoms to be doubtful for any non-COVID respiratory infections. Unless, there is any physical contact with any COVID positive person, and if no physical distancing was followed or if someone is not in suspicious containement zone, it is advisable to be safe and not to panic.

As the symptoms of cold and productive cough are not accompanied with raise in temperature and no other physical suffering like headache or muscle cramps, and for your age it is not a prone group for the possibility of COVID infection. You can continue with your present medications and advise you to cover yourself with a mask and try to gargle with Betadine gargle 2% OTC with like warm water and if you can take a local available consultation not to miss any bacterial infections and in case detected antibiotic course can be advised. If any of your symptoms aggravate or do not subside or more symptoms are felt kindly get your self checked. In case you feel any further queries to be clarified, kindly review back on this same platform.

| 

Is shortness of breath related to thyroid issues?

Query: Hi doctor, I had little shortness of breath with thick neck gland for a month. As I was on Thyronorm 50 mcg, I underwent a blood test for thyroid and here are my results: Free T3 2.50 pg/mL ( 1.4-4.4).Free T4 1.18 ng/dL (0.8-1.8).TSH (Ultrasensitive) 8.31 μIU/mL (0.45-4.5). I had increased the dos...  Read Full »

Is Common Cold a Disease or an Allergy?

Article Overview: Is common cold a disease or an allergy? This article is regarding what common cold actually is and how you can relate and differentiate it from allergy. It also includes treatment modalities different from allergy. Read Article

Dr. Ruchika Singh
Allergy Specialist

What Is Common Cold? The common cold is a subtype of rhinitis (irritation or inflammation of nasal mucous membrane or nose) categorized as infectious rhinitis. As the name suggests, it is an infection and not an allergic reaction. What Are the Causes of Common Cold? More than hundreds of viruses ...  Read Article

Is cough with chest congestion something to worry about?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom had cough and cold which continued for a week. We conducted X-ray which indicated too much cough congestion in the chest and TLC count was 18K. One day, due to too much cough she vomited, and she was injected with a medicine to stop it and it worked. Next day, we went abroad for ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»