Q. Is 5 ml of Nuhist a correct dosage for a 14-month-old baby?

Dr. Sirisha
Published on Dec 01, 2019

My son is 14 months old. He had a bad cold and congestion for the past seven days. We consulted our local pediatrician, who suggested a 5 ml of Nuhist twice a day. This medication makes him sleep quite a bit and when I tried reading up about it, there was not much except that some of the components in the medicine are things that should be taken in consultation with a doctor. I just want to confirm, is this dosage right? Should we continue the medicine and in what dosage? Should we be taking care of something in particular?

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

The medication your kid is getting is one of the medications for cold. It has the side effect of causing some drowsiness like any other cold medication. The side effect is something that occurs with the normal medication dose.

We usually prescribe medications based on weight. I presume your child would be around 12-14 kg. If he is drowsy with that dose, you can give him half the dose, which is 2.5 ml two to three times a day and three days of medication would be sufficient if he is relieved of the symptoms. The main side effect is drowsiness and decreased alertness. If it is not affecting his day to day activities, and his congestion is getting better with medication, you need not worry. Only ensure that he is not left to himself when he is under the medication effect. There are some less sedating medications that can be used, but we use less frequently in kids below 2 years.

| 

Is Common Cold a Disease or an Allergy?

Article Overview: Is common cold a disease or an allergy? This article is regarding what common cold actually is and how you can relate and differentiate it from allergy. It also includes treatment modalities different from allergy. Read Article

Dr. Ruchika Singh
Allergy Specialist

What Is Common Cold? The common cold is a subtype of rhinitis (irritation or inflammation of nasal mucous membrane or nose) categorized as infectious rhinitis. As the name suggests, it is an infection and not an allergic reaction. What Are the Causes of Common Cold? More than hundreds of viruses ...  Read Article

Suffering from osteopenia and osteoarthritis. Taking AcuCal and FreeFlex. Is it safe to take SAM(S Adenosyl Methionine) to enhance mobility?

Query: Dear Doctor,  My mother is 66 years old. She is having Trigeminal Neuralgia and for which she is taking Lyrica 75mg, Tegritol CR 400 and Symbal 30. And other medication details as below: For Cholesetrol -> Storfib -10mg. For BP -> seloken xl 100mg and amlodac 5mg. For Urinary Incontinence -&g...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for frequent cold with fever and heavy head?

Query: Hello doctor, I get frequent cold, and it will be severe with a fever of 102-103 degrees. My head remains heavy, and I have thick mucus when I blow my nose. I usually get sneeze with a change in outside temperature. Please help.  Read Full »