Q. What medicines can be taken for common cold?

Dr. Sahil Bawa

I have been having a common cold for the past three to four days. The nose is running, sometimes there is yellowish water but most of the time white watery discharge. Please suggest me medicines for it. I am also suffering from a mental health issue. I have attached the prescription list. So, I hope medicines are not interacting and worsening my mental health. Kindly advice.

Dr. Sahil Bawa

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Most of the times the common cold is a viral infection.
  • Do you have sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, and cough? If yes, then it is viral.
  • You do not have to take any medicines for viral common cold as it mostly goes away in a week but if your common cold persists for more than a week you should take antibiotics at that point particularly Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid combination.
  • Also, you can take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol combination with it. You can take antibiotics twice a day and Ibuprofen and Paracetamol combination three times a day. This should help. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take these medicines with their consent.
  • Follow up if your symptoms still persist or worsen after taking these medications for 10 days.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|