Q. What medicines can be taken for common cold?

Dr. Sahil Bawa
Published on Nov 05, 2017

I have been having a common cold for the past three to four days. The nose is running, sometimes there is yellowish water but most of the time white watery discharge. Please suggest me medicines for it. I am also suffering from a mental health issue. I have attached the prescription list. So, I hope medicines are not interacting and worsening my mental health. Kindly advice.

Dr. Sahil Bawa

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Most of the times the common cold is a viral infection.
  • Do you have sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, and cough? If yes, then it is viral.
  • You do not have to take any medicines for viral common cold as it mostly goes away in a week but if your common cold persists for more than a week you should take antibiotics at that point particularly Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid combination.
  • Also, you can take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol combination with it. You can take antibiotics twice a day and Ibuprofen and Paracetamol combination three times a day. This should help. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take these medicines with their consent.
  • Follow up if your symptoms still persist or worsen after taking these medications for 10 days.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Why do I feel dizzy after taking Ibuprofen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 18 year old female, and I weigh 135 lbs and 5.4 feet tall. I take birth control pills every night, along with two 500 mcg Biotin and two 500 mg cranberry pills. Tonight, I had a headache, so I accidentally took two 800 mg Ibuprofen tablets without thinking about it. I feel extremel...  Read Full »

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

How long can I take Ibuprofen for pain from broken ribs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 65 year old female, and I fell 10 days back and broke one or two ribs. The only thing that brings any relief is Ibuprofen 800 mg. I need to know how often and for how long can I take Ibuprofen? I tried Oxycodone 10 mg, but it does not work that well. Thank you.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now