Q. My newborn cries a lot even after giving colic drops and massage. What could be the problem?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My newborn baby boy, who is just 22 days old, is crying a lot and has not got any stool for 18 hours. The child was also given a colic syrup due to suspected stomach reflux and inserted a pain reliever. My son was also massaged by his mother six hours ago and suspected he might have muscle pain on one of his shoulders. He also cries a lot before he urinates. I need medical advice and possible treatment. Please advise.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please note that the most common reason for children to cry is hunger. Whenever the child cries, put the baby to the breast and give breastfeeding.

If you feel there is pain while touching the shoulder, an examination and x-ray of the shoulder would be required to rule out any issues.

As regards to the stool not passed, please note that it is normal for children below the age of 6 months to pass stools wither 10 to 20 times a day or once in 2 to 3 days. Both are fine and not labelled as constipation or diarrhea. No treatment is required in such cases. Treatment is only required when there is documented fever, lethargy, or refusal to feed.

|