Q. Is it necessary to reschedule colonoscopy after taking Ayurvedic medicines?

Dr. Alka
Published on Jun 03, 2019

I have been taking Ashwagandha, Turmeric, Amal powder and Brahma supplements. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in three days. It is a preventive screen. I last took them a few days back. Should I reschedule my colonoscopy?

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query. You can go for your colonoscopy because these are all herbal supplements and as you have stopped all these, they will be flushed out of the body in a week. After colonoscopy, if you are re-scheduled for other investigations, then do not start these till then. Even if you are not, then you can take after two to three weeks.

| 

Thank you for your prompt reply. Just to clarify, I last took them a few days back and my colonoscopy is in five days after that.

Dr. Alka

#

Ayurvedic medicine further have categories. If any Ayurvedic medicine contains minerals or metals, that needs to be stopped two weeks before any procedure. But as all these are herbal supplements, you can go for it. If you wish to restart all these again, then do it after two to three weeks.

| 

Should my hemophiliac son receive coagulant for colonoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor, My son was exposed to warfare chemical in the navy. During his tonsil surgery, he was found to have bleeding disorder. He is suffering from hemophilia and is undergoing a colonoscopy tomorrow. Should he receive coagulant for this procedure?  Read Full »

I am suffering from sensorineural hearing loss. Is there any Ayurveda treatment for this?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old female. I am suffering from sensorineural hearing loss. Is there any Ayurvedic treatment for this? Because I do not want to use hearing aids. Please help.  Read Full »

Is it normal to have green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.  Read Full »

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now