Q. Can I be intimate on the first day of my new pack of contraceptives?

I have been on a contraceptive pill called Yasmin since the last two months. In the last pack, I missed the pill twice, but each time, I took two pills the next day. I take the pills roughly around the same time, approximately around one to two hours each day. I am currently on my 7-day break (today is the fifth day of break). If I plan to get sexually active on Thursday (the day I am due to start my third pack), would I need to take any additional precaution? Can I be intimate even if it is the first day of my third pack? Also, can I start my third pack a day in advance, that is, on Wednesday, as I am still on my period, so it will stop the period?

Dr.Ashok Kumar Choudhary
M.B.B.S., M.D. PSYCHIATRY
Andrology, Geriatrics, Psychiatry, Psychologist/ Counsellor, Psychotherapy, Sexology

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Also read: Will combined oral contraceptive pills help treat acne and female pattern hair loss?

• In my opinion, you do not need to take any extra precaution in the next five days since the time around Thursday is not a fertile one and there is no risk of pregnancy. The fertile time is 14 days before next periods and on Thursday it will be just the seventh day, which is quite far from the fertile period.
  • The early start of pill is unlikely to shorten the period as, by the sixth day, the period is almost complete.
  • Since there is no risk of pregnancy I do not find any reason to prohibit intimacy on the coming Thursday.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thank you so much. I have a few questions, please. Even though it is the fifth day of periods, the flow is still heavy. Can I take anything to stop the period immediately? Should I take Yasmin as per schedule, that is on Thursday instead of taking it a day earlier? I thought if I took it on Wednesday, it might also make intimacy safer. Would that be true? Also, is it needed to take an I-pill later to be absolutely sure or can it be skipped entirely?

Dr.Ashok Kumar Choudhary
M.B.B.S., M.D. PSYCHIATRY

Please find the answers to your questions.

Also read: Have started my contraceptive pills on the third day. Would they be effective?

• Oral contraceptive pills have shown a good effect on limiting the flow, but unfortunately, they are not immediately effective. So, in my opinion, no medication will be effective for that.
  • You need to take it as per the schedule. Even the early intake of Yasmin (birth control pills) is unlikely to affect your safety as the safety is already 99.9 % in regard to pregnancy.
  • No, you do not need an I-pill. As stated above, you are already safe and there is no need for I-pill.

I hope this answers you completely. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Ask a Sexologist »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.