Q. I took only two active tablets of the combined OCP, and I had unprotected sex. Can I be pregnant?

Published on May 23, 2017

I had unprotected sex, but my husband did not ejaculate inside me. I am on the combined contraceptive pill, but I have taken only two tablets of the active pills. What are my chances of getting pregnant?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

Unprotected sex definitely has a chance of pregnancy.

Even if he did not ejaculate inside you, even the pre-seminal fluid or precum, that is, the clear fluid that comes out of the penis before the semen, which is rich in young healthy sperm, comes in contact with the genitals or the thighs, sperms can swim up into the vagina and reach the egg. So, then there is a chance of pregnancy.

If you started taking combined pills two days ago, then there is no hormonal suppression and there is a chance of pregnancy. Mechanism of action of these pills is the same as estrogen and progesterone hormone produced in your body. They are given in high dose, so the body hormones are suppressed, so there will be no ovulation, so no pregnancy. But for such a suppression to occur, you should have been on the pills for at least two months and should have been taking the pills regularly without fail.

If during such regular intake with good suppression of hormones, if you have sex during the period of the inactive pill, there is no problem. I had to explain as your history was quite incomplete and missing many details.

Hope I have clarified your doubt, do write back if any more queries. All the best.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Accidentally, had birth control pill during pregnancy. What shall I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my last period on the 1st of last month. Two days back, I used birth control pills. But, I am 2 weeks pregnant now. Will it cause any side effect?  Read Full »

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »