Q. I feel elongated vagina after unexpected abortion at 20 weeks. Is this due to vaginal trauma?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am nervous and anxious because sadly I had an abortion at 20 weeks. My primary doctor says that the vagina usually goes through trauma. I was not aware of that. However, my vagina is a little different a little longer to me. I see a little skin protruding when I open my lips. As well as my boobs have gotten smaller and softer and I expected that because of the hormones but my breast and vagina issue has caused depression in me. Sex is not bad but it is different and I do not know what to do? I am 34 years old, and I had my procedure done in May 2020. Please advice.

#

Firstly, I am sorry for having suffered an abortion of 20-week fetus. I can understand that you would have developed a bonding with the small baby inside you and indeed it is a big emotional and physical trauma.

I have gone through the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and the details shared by you. You have unfortunately suffered as some people call as late term abortion. Let me tell you you are fine.

Coming to your queries one by one and let me answer them in detail.

Trauma as told by your doctor is absolutely right and indeed there is a lot of trauma your body and mind have undergone as the body was sharing nutrients with that tiny baby and your mind was emotionally connected to that baby they are known as physical and emotional side effects.

It has been approximately months since your procedure and you have been recently going through a lot of mood swings. Although it is late I hope you had avoided penetrative intercourse up to two weeks of your procedure as it leads to delay in recovery.

For the feeling of vagina having got elongated, vagina is an organ that has gone through tremendous changes since the time you conceived. I am not sure until which week of pregnancy you were sexually active. Although you are claiming that your vagina has got elongated as you feel so but I state that it is not really so and it has the changes which your vagina has experienced due to changing hormone levels during pregnancy.

During pregnancy, the tissues connecting the vaginal walls start relaxing slowly to prepare for the delivery of the baby and thus you are feeling it to be loosened and elongated. It takes approximately 6-12 weeks in some females and maybe more also in some cases for vagina to return to its size prior to pregnancy.

So do not worry about anything proturding outside and in the next three to four weeks things should come back to as they were prior to the abortion. As far as doing Kegels is concerned it is great but as explained above you will have to wait for three or four weeks for things to come back to normal.

For your information, I would like to share that vaginal tightness has got more to do with pelvic floor muscles and not with the width of the vaginal canal. Have you started having periods post your abortion? How was the flow during the periods? Any blood clots? Have you consulted and taken approval of your treating gynecologist for birth control medication?

Do not worry you are fine and you will be like before in the next three to four weeks.

Some care tips from my side:

1. Eat healthy.

2. Take rest.

3. Do not plan for the next child in the next six months.

4. Do not visit crowded places.

5. Talk to good friends and family members for emotional support.

|