Q. A small amount of composite filling is chipped. Should it be replaced?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 17, 2019

If a tooth with a little bit of a composite filling that is chipped off at the edge should it be replaced? It is on a molar tooth and does not hurt. The dental explorer does stick in there but no signs of decay on the X-ray. What should I do?

#

As there is no sign of decay, so you need not worry for now. But be extra careful with that tooth, you should maintain good oral hygiene, clean full mouth with fingers after every meal, there should be no food lodgement in your tooth. Rinse mouth properly after every meal. Do revert back for more queries.

Do you think this one needs to be refilled or crowned?

#

As you have sent photograph only so the interior of the same is not visible to me. From the top view, no decayed part as such is visible. Do you have any sensitivity or any other symptom related to this tooth?

Now and then some lots of food sticks to the tooth. And there are also a few spots that the explorer caught on.

#

You can get it refilled for your satisfaction and to avoid food lodgement in the future. But for now as much is visible to me through X-ray, there is no decayed portion. You can also ask your dentist for finishing and polishing of the same so that the uneven parts will be removed and you will get a smooth finish. Do revert for more queries.

Dental Veneers - Advantages and Disadvantages

Article Overview: Dental veneers are used to improve the color, shape, and position of front teeth and make your smile beautiful. Learn more about dental veneers here. Read Article

What is a Dental Veneer? A veneer is a thin layer of porcelain made to fit over the front surface of the tooth, for aesthetic purpose. Veneer is like an artificial covering over a tooth surface. Types of Veneer Porcelain veneer. Composite veneer. Let's Compare Porcelain Venee...  Read Article

Root Canal Treatment

Article Overview: Root Canal Treatment is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extending beyond the apex of the root of the tooth, infecting the surrounding peri-radicular tissues, and also in some other cases. Read Article

The most common complaint that the patients come up with to a dentist is toothache and the frequently heard term by them is root canal treatment. It is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extend...  Read Article

My gums are bleeding with some change in the shape. Will my gums take the original shape?

Query: Hello doctor,I have bleeding gums for a year or so, and it usually happens after I brush my teeth. I find a slight change in the shape of my gums. I have been taking extra oral care. Is there anything I could do to stop my gums from bleeding? And if the bleeding stops permanently, will my gums take ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of bleeding gums is plaque and calculus deposition on teeth and gums (due to improper maintenance of oral hygiene). Only brushing and mouthwashing at home may not work since it is a little advanced stage and demands professional help (teeth clea...  Read Full