Q. Can COVID-19 infection hinder my pregnancy?

I am planning for a baby for six months. My periods are regular, around 28 to 30-day cycles. Last month towards the end of the month, I had my period. This month also, I expect to get pregnant, but since the previous week, I have COVID-19 infection and was under antibiotics. Will this harm my conceiving plans. Will I get pregnant this month?

#

Thanks for the query. I hope you are keeping well and are presently asymptomatic. COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) per se does not bear the fertilization process or conception. It just adds to the immune stress for the body as any viral infection does. As in any natural timed intercourse cycle, the chances of natural conception remain 28 to 32 percent universally, so if you have to, you will conceive in this cycle, else not. Still, covid positive status does not deter it. The causes of you not conceiving would be the same as any woman without a COVID-19 infection. If your cycles have been regular, and you have been following your fertile period to have intercourse regularly for the last six months but have not conceived, then the best thing to do would be to get your partner's semen analysis and semen culture tests to rule out any male infertility factors first. Once done, you can be evaluated further for female infertility factors, starting with your day three hormonal profile and ultrasound pelvis (to check for endometrial thickness, presence or absence of any fibroids, any evidence of pelvic inflammation, etc.). Keep yourself safe, and I wish you strength to fight the COVID-19 infection. I suggest that you should not be planning for a baby at present being positive for COVID-19 as the disease can quickly transfer to the fetus and fetal outcomes are still uncertain. I wish you health. Regards.

|