Q. Having intercourse during fertile period but failing to get pregnant. Why?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

We are married for three months, and my wife has not got pregnant yet. We are continuously tracking the cycle and ovulation days since the first month to have effective intercourse. We barely skipped a day during the fertile window for the last two cycles. My wife also gets early pregnancy symptoms to some extent every now and then but conception is not getting through. Any precautions to take care or any advice to increase the chances.

#

There are a few precautions that can be helpful. Three months time is just start so not to worry actually if she has regular cycles. I will advise some healthy lifestyle habits, some precautions. Have a balanced weight and BMI by having a daily walk and exercise. It reduces the risk of medical issues and hormonal imbalance. Have recreational activities to have better emotional and mental health. For males, better to quit smoking as it reduces fertility and can show some effects on the fetus. Have complete treatment of any health issue you have.

A woman should take Folic acid daily if normal BMI and no chronic health issue, then 0.4 mg and if high BMI and health issues then 5 mg daily. Have a balanced diet with less salt, sugar, oil and spice, more fish, dry fruits, vegetables, and fruits. Have sex in the fertile period of the cycle, check positioning during sex to have better penetration and female better to stay asleep after sex to move semen gradually to the destination rather than move and wash away in the toilet. Actually, investigations and treatment need to be taken after complete one year of unprotected sex without conception.

|