Q. Having intercourse during fertile period but failing to get pregnant. Why?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Feb 21, 2019

We are married for three months, and my wife has not got pregnant yet. We are continuously tracking the cycle and ovulation days since the first month to have effective intercourse. We barely skipped a day during the fertile window for the last two cycles. My wife also gets early pregnancy symptoms to some extent every now and then but conception is not getting through. Any precautions to take care or any advice to increase the chances.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There are a few precautions that can be helpful. Three months time is just start so not to worry actually if she has regular cycles. I will advise some healthy lifestyle habits, some precautions. Have a balanced weight and BMI by having a daily walk and exercise. It reduces the risk of medical issues and hormonal imbalance. Have recreational activities to have better emotional and mental health. For males, better to quit smoking as it reduces fertility and can show some effects on the fetus. Have complete treatment of any health issue you have.

A woman should take Folic acid daily if normal BMI and no chronic health issue, then 0.4 mg and if high BMI and health issues then 5 mg daily. Have a balanced diet with less salt, sugar, oil and spice, more fish, dry fruits, vegetables, and fruits. Have sex in the fertile period of the cycle, check positioning during sex to have better penetration and female better to stay asleep after sex to move semen gradually to the destination rather than move and wash away in the toilet. Actually, investigations and treatment need to be taken after complete one year of unprotected sex without conception.

| 

What are the reasons behind spotting that occur during fertile period?

Query: Hi doctor, I need confirmation about spotting during fertility window, high and medium. Is it normal for 20 years old lady?  Read Full »

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »