Q. Having PCOS since I was young. Will I be able to conceive naturally?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I am 27 years old. I got married before 1.5 years. I have PCOS since I was young. I remember that I had various types of medication as I did not get my periods regularly in the initial stages. My mother had taken me to many doctors, including ayurveda, homeopathy and allopathy. Before 4 years, my gynecologist prescribed me Ginette 35 and since then, I have been taking this pill. I am now planning for pregnancy and I want to know whether I can just stop taking Ginette 35. Will I be able to conceive naturally? I am also overweight for my height. My height is 5'3" and my weight is 75 kg. I want to have a baby now and want to conceive naturally without any medical treatment. Is that possible?

#

It is good that you continued Ginette 35 (Cyproterone acetate and Ethinyl estradiol) till date.

Your menses would have been regular after being placed on Ginette 35 till date as I presume.

If you wish to conceive, then you must stop the pills after completing this pack and wait for the withdrawal bleed or menses.

From the next cycle, you may try naturally and also follow up ovulation with ultrasound guided follicular monitoring.

Sometimes, initial 1 or 2 cycles remain annular after prolonged usage of Ginette 35 and resumes by third cycle. But, that varies from woman to woman. So, you may try conception from next cycle and do follow ovulation.

A fresh hormonal profile would be mandatory after a month along with serum fasting insulin levels to check for the insulin resistance as well and present hormonal status.

For further information consult a childbirth educator online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/childbirth-educator

| 

Is it possible to have ovulation and period symptoms when on Depot?

Query: Hello doctor, My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, the...  Read Full »

Is doing embryo transfer on day 55 with 7.7 mm lining fine?

Query: Hello doctor,I am undergoing an IVF FET cycle. My eggs were retrieved in cycle three months back and this cycle the doctor has planned an embryo transfer. I am on 5 Progynova tablets three times a day plus Oestrogel in the evening. I also had a GSCF. Is this high dose okay? My lining is 7.7 mm and t...  Read Full »

Are recurrent miscarriages and estradiol related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old woman with a history of recurrent miscarriages (3 losses, all in 5-6 weeks). I was recently diagnosed with Grave's disease (I had overt hyperthyroidism with my last miscarriage). Now my levels are in check. I had APS, ANA and thrombophilia panels, all perfect except...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Childbirth Educator Now