Q. My hCG level dropped from 130 to 9. Am I still pregnant?

Published on Mar 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

I had a positive pregnancy test, and my hCG was 130. Then, I bled with small clots and had cramps for about an hour. When I went for blood work again, the hCG level came down to 9. They said I am either miscarrying or has lost it. I was about 3 to 4 weeks pregnant. The bleeding was not heavy, but I bled like a normal period for three days without pain. I also did two pregnancy tests at home, and they came out negative. I am supposed to go for another blood test, but I am very nervous because I do not know if I am still pregnant or not.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Let me put forth a few facts.

• Beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) is a hormone produced by the fetal cells. The level of hCG doubles every 48 hours. So, if the level was 130 mIU/mL, after 48 hours, it should be more than 260 mIU/mL. If the level falls, then it just means the fetal tissue is not growing well.
  • If it has dropped from 130 to such a low rate as 9 mIU/mL, it means the fetus is dead, or it is aborting. The bleeding suggests that the hormone level was falling and could not support the endometrial lining. This is the reason the urine test later was negative.
  • The most common cause of such loss is anembryonic gestation or blighted ovum and the genetic problem in the fetus. Initially, growth was there, but as the health is inadequate, bleeding occurs. It does not need any evaluation.
  • Just forget about the past and do try for next pregnancy after three months. Before trying for next pregnancy have blood sugar tested (fasting and postprandial) and thyroid profile. All the best.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is the abortion process complete or not?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had an abortion pill. I took Mifepristone tablet first then after 36 hours, I took four tablets of Misoprostol of 200 mcg orally. At first, there was light bleeding during one hour then after some time I had heavy bleeding and it almost soaked two pads and it continued for ...  Read Full »

Does miscarriage affect fertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male and my wife is 31 years old. We got married before two years and had not planned for pregnancy. My wife's medical history is as follows. Two years before her thyroid level was near 18 and she took regular medicine. Now her thyroid level came down between 2 and 3 a...  Read Full »

I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy. I am wondering if there is a chance I have endometriosis. I am wondering this because I have no other risks/causes that could have caused the ectopic. There is no chance I co...  Read Full »