Q. My wife is pregnant. What all supplements should she take?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 24, 2020

My wife is pregnant. Her home pregnancy test kit showed the result as positive. Her last LMP was 7th of last month. What all supplements should she take now? Her age is 24.

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

My hearty congratulations to you and your wife.

• Your wife needs to get an ultrasound early pregnancy done preferably at 6 weeks (in your case by the 18th of this month) for localization of pregnancy and presence of cardiac activity.
  • She also needs to get routine investigations of pregnancy, which are blood group, complete blood count, urine routine, fasting blood sugar, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone test for thyroid), VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory), HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen), HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and husband's blood group, if wife's blood group is negative.
  • These tests are necessary to assess any abnormalities, so that they can be managed well in time.
  • My suggestion to tablet Folvite 5 mg daily (Folic acid) as a supplement and tablet Doxinate (combination of Doxylamine succinate and Pyridoxine hydrochloride) for morning sickness if required.
  • Please provide other relevant history like is this your wife's first pregnancy? Were her previous cycles regular?
  • Is there a history of previous abortions or cesareans or history of trouble with conception? Is your wife on any medication?
  • Is there any history of hypertension, diabetes, epilepsy, etc., in the family? Please provide these details and reports to help us guide you further.

Routine investigation of pregnancy as mentioned above and ultrasound early pregnancy to check whether it is intrauterine or ectopic pregnancy.

Folvite, Doxinate and pregnancy support if required according to reports.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|