Q. What can be the reason for cramps during pregnancy?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I received a couple of faint positive pregnancy tests two weeks ago. Then, I went to my primary physician for another urine test, which came out as negative. Later, I felt some cramping on and off all day on my left side. The cramps were similar to premenstrual cramps along with sore nipples, increased saliva, and sense of taste, absent-mindedness, forgetfulness, very noticeable fatigue, occasional backache and headache, indigestion, burps and frequent urination. I was anxious and read about ectopic pregnancies and decided to test that night. It was a darker line than the previous tests and the result was pretty fast. When I tested the next morning, it was even darker and the result came very quickly. Then, two digital tests a couple of days after being positive. What can be the reason for my pain? Can it occur from a corpus luteum cyst and pregnancy? Is it safe to say that I am pregnant because of the tests becoming darker? Or were they possibly all false positives? I feel like the cramps are a bit more spaced out and less frequent now. Also, there has been no bleeding. I have my first OB/GYN appointment scheduled 15 days from now, but I am hoping for a little insight. I am currently on Vitex capsules 400 mg, GNC prenatal vitamins and Fish oil pills. Thank you.

#

• Your instincts are very correct. It could be an ectopic pregnancy or an intrauterine pregnancy. But, it is very important that you differentiate them.
  • Get a serum beta hCG report done that is the human chorionic gonadotropin test is a blood test to detect the amount of pregnancy causing hormone in the body and an ultrasound early pregnancy to rule out ectopic pregnancy and confirm cardiac activity.
  • Please get the investigations done early as ectopic pregnancy if ignored can be life threatening. Also, it will help us start pregnancy support if you require it.
  • Stop all other medication except prenatal vitamins as other medications may hinder organ development in early pregnancy. You may start them at the end of the first trimester.
  • Also, take small frequent diets.

Serum beta hCG and USG early pregnancy to rule out ectopic and confirm cardiac activity.

1. Intrauterine pregnancy.
2. Ectopic pregnancy.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|