Q. Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Jun 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily for one hour and eat raw vegetables for breakfast. I have constipation problem. By any chance is it related to high sugar levels? Please advice me as to how to control or keep HbA1c below 7. Suggest me natural way of reducing sugar levels without medication.

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

Diabetes is not curable but controllable. The first line in the management of type 2 diabetes is lifestyle modifications. Fasting should not be higher than 110, postprandial should not be higher than 140, and HbA1c should not be higher than 7.5. My advice:

1. Healthy diet: Low fatty foods, low sugary foods, low carbohydrates, grilled meats are fine, fruits one piece only, green vegetables are okay and favorable. For further advice, seek help from a dietician. 30 minutes exercise every day.
  2. In case, above lifestyle modifications are not enough in controlling sugar level, oral medications will be required.
  3. Constipation could be due to diabetes as it affects the nerves. I suggest Senna tablets before sleeping.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

To avoid diabetes during pregnancy, what diet should have to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. This weekend I had my glucose tolerance test (3 hours) and on which I failed badly. My fasting numbers were 172, 325 and 318. I know they are bad, but my doctor never told me to follow a strict diet of three to five days prior to the test. In my pregnancy, I ...  Read Full »

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Is it fine to take Betnesol during 36 weeks of pregnancy with BP, thyroid and diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 weeks pregnant with LMP. My doctor is prescribing me Betnesol. I have thyroid, BP and GD. They are under control. Sugar levels are also under control. I am little worried about Betnesol. My previous baby was a C-section. I had planned normal delivery (for my first) but had to ...  Read Full »