Q. I am suffering from constipation and foul-smelling gas for the past two weeks. Kindly help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

From the past fortnight, I have a strange change in my stomach. Suddenly, I feel constipated when I wake up in the morning. I have difficulty clearing my stomach. It is taking longer and is requiring more effort but still with no satisfactory results. But later during the day, I feel an urge to clear my stomach shortly after I eat anything, and I can pass stools properly. I feel the urge sometimes twice after eating anything during the day. I also release excessive gas with a foul smell after having food. There is no significant change in my lifestyle, but this is happening suddenly. I think all this discomfort is mainly because I cannot clear my stomach properly in the mornings. Kindly help.

#

Since you have only two-week long history of these symptoms, which highly suggest an episode of acute gastroenteritis (an infection of the bowel), if you had these symptoms on and off for longer than this, then the diagnosis might be different.

After having a meal, the rapid urge to go to the restroom is otherwise a normal human bodily response. However, in conditions like acute gastroenteritis, this response is a bit exaggerated. I want to know if you have recently changed your diet these days? Some environmental changes may be at the home, office, or otherwise, causing this state of rapid bowel movements.

I suggest you modify your diet if you have recently changed it. Secondly, use Ispagol husk two tablespoons full in a glass of water for one week time. I also want to know if you have any abdominal pain or cramp which resolves after you pass stools or wind?

Further, I suggest you take plenty of water daily, approximately two to three liters in a day. Do some exercise regularly, and avoid stressors and take a good sleep.

I hope this will solve your problem. If you still feel the same even after a week, use Mebeverine 200 mg twice daily, 20 minutes before taking meals.

| 

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full »

How to treat sore abdomen which is likely to be gastroenteritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old male. My abdomen is sore to touch for about two months. It is sore to the touch at the top of my abdomen below my sternum, and on the far left about an inch up from where my belly button would be. I went to a minor emergency about a week in, and I was told I most li...  Read Full »

Preventing Constipation Naturally

Article Overview: Constipation is often caused owing to a faulty diet, irregular lifestyle and also mental stress that is best avoided or prevented naturally. Read Article

Dr. Pritam Mohapatra
General Medicine Physician

Follow these steps and stay away from constipation: Eat a simple and natural plant based diet consisting mostly of whole grain cereals, leafy greens and fresh fruits/ dry fruits including mango, grapes, papaya, tomato, cucumber, pears, guava, gooseberry, fig, apple, raisins, etc. At the same time...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»