Q. I have severe constipation. Is that due to the Sandomigran, which I took for migraines?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have chronic migraines for the past 15 to 16 years and was diagnosed with type A migraine earlier this year. I was on Sandomigran (Pizotifen 0.5 mg) that I was taking for the past three months. The migraines episodes have dropped considerably, and the quality of life regarding daily headaches is far better. However, ever since I have started to have this medication, I was suffering from very severe constipation. The evacuation is done very forcibly, and the stool comes in the shape of pellets or very dry and hard stools. I have been drinking almost 3.5 liters of water; I tried taking Metamucil, but that choked my bowel movements more. The bowel movement seems to ease out after taking the Dulcolax tablet (sometimes, I took two pills). I have been taking Softovac for some time but then stopped thinking that this might cause dependency. I took Movicol three sachets yesterday, but the morning stool was again very hard, stressful, and in lumps. I am scared that this continuous application of stress may lead to other rectal complications. There has been no blood observed so far. Please advise.

#

You are right, as a few people do experience severe constipation with Sandomigran (Pizotifen). First, we would try to workout on constipation, but if we fail to improve it in a few weeks, we would consider switching to alternative drugs for migraines. Very important here is that you should give atleast 7 to 10 days for any laxative to work before switching to another one. I would recommend you discuss with your doctor to prescribe you to take Pruvict 2 mg (Prucalopride) in the morning. At night take two tablespoons of Softovac (Isabgol, Sonamukhi, Amaltas, Harad, Mulethi, Gulab dal, and Fennel). Rest, fruits, fibers, and water intake to be increased. I would also like to know whether you are on any other medication for thyroid, hypertension, diabetes, or any multivitamins.

Thanks for your reply.

In the morning, I take Vitamin B12, CoQ10, and Menevit, and at night I take Brahmi 9000 tablets. Are you recommending Prucalopride and Softovac together?

#

Yes, I am recommending them together. You can gradually shift on one. My other concern would be that too much of supplements can also cause constipation. So, I would recommend to stop them for a few weeks. You may feel better. Later, you can add them gradually. I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

| 

Preventing Constipation Naturally

Article Overview: Constipation is often caused owing to a faulty diet, irregular lifestyle and also mental stress that is best avoided or prevented naturally. Read Article

Dr. Pritam Mohapatra
General Medicine Physician

Follow these steps and stay away from constipation: Eat a simple and natural plant based diet consisting mostly of whole grain cereals, leafy greens and fresh fruits/ dry fruits including mango, grapes, papaya, tomato, cucumber, pears, guava, gooseberry, fig, apple, raisins, etc. At the same time...  Read Article

My motion is hard and there is an ulcer inside my anus. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old, boy, my height is 158 cm and weight is 61 kg. I am suffering from motion problem. My motion is not proper. It is getting too hard and timing is not proper I feel, something like ulcer is there inside of my anus. Please help me.  Read Full »

My migraine has been getting worse of late. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female. I have always suffered from migraines. Recently, it seems like it has been getting worse. Last year, I gave birth to my son vaginally. Now, when I lay on my abdomen or even turn my head, I notice a heartbeat sound in my ear. My nurse practitioner thought it ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»