Q. I have severe constipation with anal discharge for the past 10 days. Please help.

Dr. Aamir Muhamed
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I am suffering from severe constipation for the past 10 days. There is also discharge and itch from the anus. I am also feeling excessive weakness after passing stools.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Aamir Muhamed

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

From your history, it looks like severe constipation. But I would like to know a few more details so that I can confirm the diagnosis. Have you had similar episodes in the past? Do you have any abdominal distension or pain? How is your appetite? If you were to describe the stools, is it hard and dry or loose? When you say weakness, do you mean you feel tired or do you have other symptoms also like numbness over feet or hands? Do you have any fever or vomiting?

Please get back with the above answers so that I can confirm the diagnosis and prescribe you the right medicine.

| 

No, I have no similar past episodes. Yes, I get abdominal distension sometimes. My appetite is completely gone. My stool is hard and dry. I have extreme numbness and dizziness after passing stools. No fever or vomiting.

Dr. Aamir Muhamed

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Based on your current history, since you have not passed stools for 10 days, I shall prescribe you a medication. Syrup Looz (Lactulose) 5 ml at night for five days. If you are on any other medications for any other illnesses please let me know.

Apart from this, you need to bring about a number of lifestyle changes so that this does not happen in the future. Eat more fiber foods. Try to eat a banana after every meal. Eat more fruits especially orange, fruits with skin (apple, orange, pear, etc.). Drink plenty of water at least 10 glasses per day. Drink two to three glasses of warm water as soon as you get up in the morning. This will greatly help.

Exercise is most important. Do it at least 20 minutes daily. Do not hold in stool as that can worsen bowel issues.

If situation does not improve even after medication, you need to visit the nearest hospital and get a suppository. But if you follow all the above measures, it should resolve. Do let me know how it goes.

| 

I have weakness and pain in the arm. Should I anticipate surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I recently had an MRI on my neck. I have a 75 % weakness and pain on the left arm (tricep). Should I anticipate surgery?  Read Full »

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full »

I am not defecating in the morning, but I am urged to defecate after some time. Why is it so?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18-years-old. I am 52 kg in weight. My problem is I am not defecating in the morning, but I am urged to defecate after some time. The stomach does not become clean. And I also have metal allergies. The other problem is nausea and vomiting while traveling.  Read Full »