Q. What is the treatment for constipation that is persistent even after taking Cremaffin?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am a 30-year-old male. I am having constipation for the last two months. Currently, I am taking Triphala and sometimes warm water in the morning. I have high blood sugar levels. Also,I take Cremaffin twice or thrice a week. I just walk and exercise. Kindly help.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

Usually, chronic constipation results from inadequate fiber or fluid intake or other disordered colonic transit. You mentioned that you have high blood sugar levels too. Above mentioned Triphala powder does work for constipation. Since it is chronic constipation, I would suggest thyroid checkup and do keep blood sugar level in control with adequate daily exercise and proper diet intake. I would suggest the following for proper bowel evacuation;

1. Tablet Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) 10 mg at bedtime. You can repeat the medicine if constipation persists but not always.
  2. Include plenty of fiber, fruits and vegetables, which helps in bulk stool formation and easy transit. Eat salads also.
  3. Adequate hydration throughout the day.
  4. Drink one glass of lukewarm water in the morning which will help in bowel movement.
  5. Fix timing for bowel evacuation daily as the body learns the reflex.
  6. Do check your thyroid level as it is one of the cause for chronic constipation.

I hope you find my reply helpful.

Thanks.

|