Q. I applied toothpaste in lower eyelid which has caused an indentation. What has to be done?

Answered by
Dr. Chaitra Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am 18 years old and I once in my lifetime applied toothpaste on my bottom eyelid trying to help with the dark circles I had but then I had an irritation there and the next morning I had a scab which later fell off and left an indentation on my end eye that looks like an ugly wrinkle. Can this be treated to remove the wrinkle with a cream? Because this small indentation is causing other wrinkles near it. Please help with a depth answer. It would mean a lot.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. The indentation below the eyelids as I can see the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) could have been due to two things. Toothpaste that you had applied might have caused contact dermatitis and in turn skin thinning in that area. The other reason could be that there is loss of tissue under the lower eyelid skin.

You could use Vitamin C serum under the eyes. This helps you lighten dark circles as well as minimize indentation. You can also place plain wet wipes over closed eyes to maintain hydration. If the indentation and wrinkles are too loose, you can get fillers done from your dermatologist.

The Probable causes:

Contact dermatitis, tissue atrophy

Investigations to be done:


Treatment plan:

As described above

Preventive measures:

Avoid frequent rubbing of eyes and use of harsh products

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What is the treatment for whiteheads and enlarged pores in my face?

For shiny skin, apply Vitamin C serum at night ...   Read full

How can I get constipation cured?

I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), USG reports, blood reports, serum vitamin D reports ... Vitamin D level is also normal ...   Read full

How to treat itchy bumps on my vagina?

.. to be a contact dermatitis superadded on the warts. Use Panderm cream (combination of Ornidazole, Clobetasol, Terbinafine and Ofloxacin) on the affected area twice a day for 15 days. Also, put Clingen forte vaginal pessary (combination of Cl...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please suggest treatment for allergy on the head of the penis.

Query: Hi doctor, I have some kind of allergy on the head of my penis. Please tell me how to resolve it and which doctor should I consult. My age is 25. I did not consult any doctor before this. I do catch a cold in a month or two and I skip my diet many days. I saw this allergy a month ago when my girlfri...  Read Full »

How harmful is poison oak when contacted?

Query: Hi doctor, I disk golf in an area where a decent amount of poison oak is present. I would like to know how fast urushiol binds to skin, and once it does is there any possibility to spread? I use an electronic cigarette which requires me to handle cotton that I feed into the atomizer. My doubt is if ...  Read Full »

Which product is safe for my skin to look lighter?

Query: Hi doctor,I would like to know how and which product is safe for my skin to look lighter. My facial skin does not look like how it used to, and I do not like it. Please help.  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.