Q. I applied toothpaste in lower eyelid which has caused an indentation. What has to be done?

Dr. Chaitra Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I am 18 years old and I once in my lifetime applied toothpaste on my bottom eyelid trying to help with the dark circles I had but then I had an irritation there and the next morning I had a scab which later fell off and left an indentation on my end eye that looks like an ugly wrinkle. Can this be treated to remove the wrinkle with a cream? Because this small indentation is causing other wrinkles near it. Please help with a depth answer. It would mean a lot.

#

I understand your concern. The indentation below the eyelids as I can see the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) could have been due to two things. Toothpaste that you had applied might have caused contact dermatitis and in turn skin thinning in that area. The other reason could be that there is loss of tissue under the lower eyelid skin.

You could use Vitamin C serum under the eyes. This helps you lighten dark circles as well as minimize indentation. You can also place plain wet wipes over closed eyes to maintain hydration. If the indentation and wrinkles are too loose, you can get fillers done from your dermatologist.

Contact dermatitis, tissue atrophy

None

As described above

Avoid frequent rubbing of eyes and use of harsh products

|