Q. I have a spot on my chin with burning. What is it?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have a spot on my chin and it has been there for six months now. It burns a lot and the skin appears scaly and weird. I went to a dermatologist and he told me that it as ringworm and he gave me a cream. I used it for a couple of weeks. I went again for a follow-up and he told me that the fungus has gone but the skin appeared the same. So after a month, I consulted another dermatologist and the doctor told me that fungus is still there and gave me different creams to put on it. It did not help me and so I went back for the follow-up. She prescribed a steroid cream and it helped me a little. But the spot is still there. After a couple of weeks, I went to a pharmacy and the pharmacist told me that antifungal creams are used to treat ringworms. I bought a cream and it did not help me. I need some help to get resolved. I am taking Remicade for Crohn's disease. Please suggest.

#

I have noted your concern and gone through the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It does not appear like a ringworm. It can occur due to several reasons. The reasons are contact dermatitis, FDE (fixed drug eruption), irritant dermatitis, and the usage of creams has modified its original appearance. It is good to stop using all the local applications and wait for a few days while taking antiallergics like Zyrtec (Cetirizine) or any other similar compound to relieve the symptoms. You can resend fresh pictures after some days or weeks to see the true nature of the lesion.

|