Contact Lens Infection

I slept for five hours without removing my contact lenses. Is it the reason for my blurry left eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I slept for five hours without removing my contact lenses. After taking out my lenses, I had cloudy and blurry vision. It's the third day, and I still have a cloudy vision. Please suggest something as I only have blurry vision in my left eye.  Read Full »

Dr. Gargi Madhukar Apte

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This blurry vision is because of the overuse of contact lenses. In addition, your cornea might be having mild inflammation because it did not receive sufficient oxygen in that five hours. I suggest you use eyedrops like Refresh Tears (Carboxymethylcellulose) 1 % ever...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a treatment for my husband's eye problem.

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is a contact lens wearer for more than 15 years. He changed the contact lens brand as per optometrist advise. Within a week, he started rubbing the eyes and got a point of laceration and then infection in the right eye. The infection also has spread to the other eye. Six months...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the history you described and the prescription attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the corneal ulcer in both eyes after contact lens wear may be due to contact lens infection, infected lens solution or trauma during wearing or removing. ...  Read Full »

I experience white haze more with contact lenses. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a contact lens and glass user. I had not worn my contacts for three days but changed the solution each day. I put my contacts on today and noticed that it looked like I saw a white haze. The weird thing about it has I only noticed it when an area is not well. I thought that it is bec...  Read Full »

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There could be two reasons. The lenses may have micro scratches, and hence the blurring with contacts only. Sometimes the cornea starves for oxygen on using lenses causing epithelial haze or punctate spots. This can lead to haze. This happens because of protein built up ...  Read Full »

My eye pains a lot as I slept with contact lenses. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor,I am using contact lenses daily. But yesterday, I slept with it in my eyes. When I woke up, my eyes were red and itching. It is painful, and water is coming out continuously from my eyes. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Anand Yattinamani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is associated with a lot of long-term and acute problems if you wear contact lenses during sleep. Immediately remove contact lenses and start using antibiotic eye drops and artificial tear substitutes frequently. You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for b...  Read Full »

What to do for dryness in eyes after using contact lenses?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 23 years old and I suffer from dry eyes for many years due to contact lenses. One of my eyes started to have soreness with bloodshot now and then. It looks as if my skin on the eye got abraided.   Read Full »

Dr. Asha Juliet Barboza

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I have some questions to ask you. The abraded looking skin near the ridge of the nose is unusual (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please mention whether you have this for the first time and there is any pain during touching. P...  Read Full »

Can an improper usage of contact lens cause infection of the cornea?

Query: Hi doctor, I have struggled with my right eye, where I have had a red eyelid around the eye, and my eyeball would be bloodshot. I did scratch my eye two years ago, and that was the cause and got infected. I have gone to the doctors and told me to stop wearing contacts and put me on antibiotic drops...  Read Full »

Dr. Aseela Banu Mohammed

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. While using contact lenses, please maintain hygiene. You should be very cautious because if the infection comes and the cornea is involved, it will take months to heal. So as of now, please avoid contact lens till infection resolves. Better use glasses as of now. ...  Read Full »

Can an immune response to contact lens cause pain in the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, Today morning, when I was putting my contact lens, I felt some pain on the side of my eye. The pain went away after a minute, but the white area on one side of my eye looks red. I do not have any problem or blurry vision. What is this? Note that, when I put my contact lens in, I will alw...  Read Full »

Dr. Arnab Pal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your eyes. I must congratulate you on the excellent quality of the image. Has such redness occurred before? Going by the picture, it seems there is sectoral congestion of your eyes white, als...  Read Full »

How to treat pain and swelling of eye due to forceful contact lens removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a senior female wearing eyeglasses which broke last week. So, I was forced to use my contact lenses daily since then. I had trouble removing the right-eye contacts last night since the eye was very dry. When the lens was finally removed, my right eye felt very sore and in tears, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and the photo of your eye (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Forceful removal of contact lens causes the surface to abrade. The bacteria can have access to the tissues through the abraded epithelium. Contact lens corneal...  Read Full »

Will contact lens cause white dots in the cornea?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year old male with good health. I wear contact lens, Air Optix day and night only on the left eye (PWE-10.75 BC 8.6 DIA 13.8). I am currently on Vigamox. I am getting pain in my eyes. As a result, I am wearing my glasses mostly and my contact lenses sparingly. The problem i...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be a corneal ulcer. Absolutely discontinue wearing contacts (do not throw them, they will be needed for bacterial culture later on). Start Vigamox eye drop 12 times a day i. e every one hour (buy a fresh vial), Amikacin eye drop six times a day i. e every tw...  Read Full »

Does wearing contact lenses for long hours cause pain and irritation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am out on a business trip. Yesterday, after 14 hours flight in which I wore my contacts (which are 30 days disposable Air Optix ) for about 20 straight hours, I took them out. After that, the vision in my right eye became cloudy and blurry but no pain. No issues with my left eye...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This might be due to dry eyes. The contact lens should be worn maximum for 8 to 12 hours only. The contact lens wear for a long time also cuts down the oxygen supply to cornea, which gets oxygen from the atmosphere. If the eyes are not red, discharge, watering you ca...  Read Full »