Contact Lens Infection

Can an improper usage of contact lens cause infection of the cornea?

Query: Hi doctor, I have struggled with my right eye, where I have had a red eyelid around the eye, and my eyeball would be bloodshot. I did scratch my eye two years ago, and that was the cause and got infected. I have gone to the doctors and told me to stop wearing contacts and put me on antibiotic drops...  Read Full »

Dr. Aseela Banu

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. While using contact lenses, please maintain hygiene. You should be very cautious because if the infection comes and the cornea is involved, it will take months to heal. So as of now, please avoid contact lens till infection resolves. Better use glasses as of now. ...  Read Full »

Can an immune response to contact lens cause pain in the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, Today morning, when I was putting my contact lens, I felt some pain on the side of my eye. The pain went away after a minute, but the white area on one side of my eye looks red. I do not have any problem or blurry vision. What is this? Note that, when I put my contact lens in, I will alw...  Read Full »

Dr. Arnab Pal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your eyes. I must congratulate you on the excellent quality of the image. Has such redness occurred before? Going by the picture, it seems there is sectoral congestion of your eyes white, als...  Read Full »

How to treat pain and swelling of eye due to forceful contact lens removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a senior female wearing eyeglasses which broke last week. So, I was forced to use my contact lenses daily since then. I had trouble removing the right-eye contacts last night since the eye was very dry. When the lens was finally removed, my right eye felt very sore and in tears, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and the photo of your eye (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Forceful removal of contact lens causes the surface to abrade. The bacteria can have access to the tissues through the abraded epithelium. Contact lens corneal...  Read Full »

Will contact lens cause white dots in the cornea?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year old male with good health. I wear contact lens, Air Optix day and night only on the left eye (PWE-10.75 BC 8.6 DIA 13.8). I am currently on Vigamox. I am getting pain in my eyes. As a result, I am wearing my glasses mostly and my contact lenses sparingly. The problem i...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be a corneal ulcer. Absolutely discontinue wearing contacts (do not throw them, they will be needed for bacterial culture later on). Start Vigamox eye drop 12 times a day i. e every one hour (buy a fresh vial), Amikacin eye drop six times a day i. e every tw...  Read Full »

Does wearing contact lenses for long hours cause pain and irritation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am out on a business trip. Yesterday, after 14 hours flight in which I wore my contacts (which are 30 days disposable Air Optix ) for about 20 straight hours, I took them out. After that, the vision in my right eye became cloudy and blurry but no pain. No issues with my left eye...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This might be due to dry eyes. The contact lens should be worn maximum for 8 to 12 hours only. The contact lens wear for a long time also cuts down the oxygen supply to cornea, which gets oxygen from the atmosphere. If the eyes are not red, discharge, watering you ca...  Read Full »

Please suggest a least invasive treatment for pain in aphakic bullous keratopathy.

Query: Hello doctor, For ten years, my husband has been successfully using an extended wear bandage contact lens (monthly wear) to control the pain of aphakic bullous keratopathy in one eye. About seven months ago, he had an episode of foreign body pain in the eye which the contact lens could not control. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history. Bandage contact lenses are a proven and effective treatment option for pain relief in case of aphakic bullous keratopathy. Hence he can continue the same and I do not think these are responsible for the sore feeling of the eyes. For symptomat...  Read Full »

Why are there blurry vision and pain in the eyelids on using contact lens?

Query: Hello doctor, I have blurry vision in a small section of my right eye, and it keeps moving around. Sometimes, it completely disappears. In addition, I have pain on the inside of my top and bottom eyelids as well as the outer corner of my eye, but I feel the pain only when I blink. This pain is als...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stop wearing contact lenses until the eye is completely normal without redness. Consult an ophthalmologist nearby to check for eyelids and retina for moving things and weak spots (lattice). The moving thing is a floater. It is uncommon in your age unless you are myop...  Read Full »

My friend has lost his vision in an accident with a blood clot in it. What is the way to get back the vision?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend got an accident a while ago and lost a vision in the left eye. He has three issues in his left eye. 1. There is a haem clot in the aqueous chamber of the eye. 2. There is a membrane formation occurring there, 3. There, is the permanent lens has got displaced from its exac...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A blood clot in aqueous will be absorbed spontaneously however if it is more it has to be surgically removed. Even membrane formation is removed surgically. Due to the displaced lens, the vision is poor. It is corrected by placing an IOL intraocular lens. There is a ...  Read Full »

There is drooping of eyelid due to retained lens in the eye. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Day before yesterday my lens got lost in my right eye. I thought it must have fallen. Later, my eye turned red and started mucus discharge and the next day the lens was expelled. So the redness got reduced but now there is mild drooping of the eyelid of that eye. Please help.   Read Full »

Dr. K K Agrawal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most probably you have infection of the eye, due to lens being there for a long time. It causes inflammation of eyelids which causes drooping. You should start putting some antibiotic eye drops. Consult some ophthalmologist nearby to prescribe you one for it. Do not ...  Read Full »

Shall I use Oculosan eye drops for red eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I used contact lens after a long time and after that I have got red and tired eyes. My white portion of the eye has red lines. I went to a chemist and he gave me Oculosan eye drop and it has Zinc sulfate and Naphazoline. Is it safe? I am also using Refresh tears eye drops.  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, stop using contact lenses for at least a week. Take good care of hygiene. You can use Refresh tears (Carboxymethylcellulose sodium solution) for at least four times a day. Visit to an ophthalmologist to rule out any abrasion or infective pathology. Also,...  Read Full »