Q. Forceful removal of contact lens caused pain and fluffiness in right eye. Please help.

Dr. Skandha Harshita

I am a senior female wearing eyeglasses which broke last week. So, I was forced to use my contact lenses daily since then. I had trouble removing the right-eye contacts last night since the eye was very dry. When the lens was finally removed, my right eye felt very sore and in tears, but I was able to sleep. Since the time I woke up and until now, the right eye, very red, is still in tears and has not stopped tearing. Now it is getting fluffy, and painful (feels like a headache in the eye). Please help.

#

I have gone through your query and the photo of your eye (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Forceful removal of contact lens causes the surface to abrade. The bacteria can have access to the tissues through the abraded epithelium. Contact lens corneal infections can be severe, so we have to rule out that first. We cannot really pinpoint the diagnosis until we make sure that you do not have an infection of the cornea.

For the time being, take eye drops Moxifloxacin one drop six times a day for seven days and Refresh tears one drop three times a day for seven days. These drops help you to prevent infection and also reduces the soreness of your eye.

Review after 1 day.

|