Q. I feel pain and irritation in eyes after wearing contact lens for 14 hours. What shall I do?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

I am out on a business trip. Yesterday, after 14 hours flight in which I wore my contacts (which are 30 days disposable Air Optix ) for about 20 straight hours, I took them out. After that, the vision in my right eye became cloudy and blurry but no pain. No issues with my left eye. It was difficult to get the contact out of my right eye. It was somewhat stuck to it.

I just woke up and the vision is a little better in my right eye, not quite as cloudy and blurry (but still not normal). But now there is some pain and irritation. This is after about six hours of sleep. Is this something that warrants me getting immediately back to my place to see my eye doctor or can I wait to see him when I get back (early next week)?

I do have some Prednisolone pills with me that I have been taking for a sinus infection. Presumably, those would help with the eye swelling if that is an interim option?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

This might be due to dry eyes. The contact lens should be worn maximum for 8 to 12 hours only. The contact lens wear for a long time also cuts down the oxygen supply to cornea, which gets oxygen from the atmosphere. If the eyes are not red, discharge, watering you can continue wearing contact lens. If there are redness wear spectacles.

You can use Teardrops four times a day. You can continue your treatment for sinus infection. Do as told above and let me know.

| 

About how long should it take for this to get better? A few days or a week?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You should be fine in two to three days. This must be due to dryness. Next time be careful not to wear contacts lens for such a long time. Tear drops will help you a lot. If anything else, you can contact me.

| 

Why are there light flashes with burning sensations in the eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I work on the computer for over 10 hours daily. I have dry eyes and minus power of 1.75 in both eyes. However, of late I see light flashes in left eye followed by heat like sensation coming out from the eye. Please advise.  Read Full »

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full »

Slept with my contacts on. Now, there is a white cloud blocking my vision. Help.

Query: Hello doctor,I slept with color contacts in my eyes and now I woke and took them out and there is a white cloud blocking my vision.  Read Full »