HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologycontraceptive pillI had unprotected sex and took the i-Pill within three to four hours. The second period is delayed. Why?

Could a delay in the second period after taking the i-Pill post-unprotected sex mean pregnancy?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At July 12, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 1, 2023

Patient's Query

I had unprotected sex and took the i-Pill within three to four hours. I got my periods on time but it lasted only for three days and the color was brown and not the regular red. But the flow was normal. Now the second period is delayed by two days but I am having abdominal pain and cramps. I took the pregnancy test last month after a week after taking i-Pill and it was negative. Just the second period is getting delayed. What might be the reason? Am I pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Balakrishnan R

I read your query and understand your concern.

For a young lady of 22 years, a delay in periods of up to seven days is normal. i-Pill is a high dose of Progesterone hormone that is produced in the body in the second half of the period after ovulation. This pill will suddenly increase the thickness of the inner lining of the uterus, making it unfavorable for a possible pregnancy to sit. As it is a single dose, it has no strength to stand on, so it falls off and you get period or bleeding of the increased thickness within 7 to 10 days. Usually, this pill can slightly disturb the normal hormonal balance and hence your periods. The cramping sensation is just a feature of impending periods. Once you have had your period and the urine test is negative, there is no chance of pregnancy. As I see in the history, you are just above the normal weight range. Your expected weight is in the range of 114 to 121 lbs. Once you reduce weight to the normal range, you would not need any medicine to get periods. To reduce weight:

1. No fasting.
  2. No junk food or fast foods or red meat.
  3. Stop snacks in between meals.
  4. Have low calories food with high proteins.
  5. Regular exercise (especially for the waist and hip area). Aerobics, yoga, and brisk walking (swing your hands well).
  6. Try to reduce four to six pounds per month. Do not hurry on weight reduction, it will be difficult to maintain. As soon as you reduce at least 11 lbs, you will see changes. Even if you are in the normal weight range, try this schedule, it will help. For a person with borderline weight, when a hormone in the form of i-Pill is taken, the balance of hormones is tipped and periods will be disturbed like this.

So if I may advise you:

1. If frequent sex is expected, having a regular cyclical birth control pill, will regularize the cycle and give almost 100 % contraception.
  2. If sex is going to be infrequent, then use condoms.

Thank you for choosing icliniq.

I am happy to help you and will always be available whenever you need me at icliniq.com.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Balakrishnan R
Dr. Balakrishnan R

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy