Q. Do periods get delayed even after taking an after-pill?

Dr. Ezinne Okeoma

I have a concern. When I had sex last time, the condom burst at night. Then early morning, I decided to take an emergency contraceptive pill before 12 hours was gone. My period was the next day, but I did not have it. I have had pinkish discharge then and I have mild cramping sometimes. What do you advise?

#

Since your period was due the next day, chances of getting pregnant are quite slim except in very rare cases. Also, taking the after-pill morning helps with reducing the chances of that.

I think you should wait till a week, and if the period does not begin, go to the hospital and run some tests. Keep in mind that anxiety, stress, and extreme weight loss also affect the regularity of your menstrual period. Hence you can have your period delayed. Check if any of these apply to you. But if you do not see the period after one week, you can go to the hospital to ease your fear or talk with a doctor.

|