Q. Will contraceptive pills worsen pre-existing irregular period?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

The first day of my last period was on the 2nd of March, it lasted till 6th of March. I had unprotected sex on the 10th of March, but he did not ejaculate inside me but there is a chance that pre-cum may have gotten in. So for safety, I took contraceptive pills (Postinor 2) on the 11th. On the 16th, I noticed light bleeding, and it lasted till 19th. I am yet to see my period for this month. Although, I usually experience irregular menstrual cycles, is it possible I am pregnant? Or has it worsened my case of irregular menstrual cycle?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the details and the sequence of events you mentioned and totally understand your anxiousness.

See, the emergency contraceptive pills are high doses of progesterone hormone, so at times there can be withdrawal and some times there can be a delayed period too. The effects vary from a person to person. As you already had a history of irregular periods, it is difficult to predict just based on the sequence of events whether you could be pregnant or not.

So a definitive test would be to check for a urine pregnancy test, preferably with an early morning urine sample. If that is negative, then you can rest assured that you are not pregnant. And you can take the medications mentioned below to get your periods and get yourself evaluated for the cause for your irregular periods.

Regarding your irregular periods, I see that you are slightly overweight for your height. So mostly this could be due to PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) too that you have your irregular periods which need to be evaluated or maybe some hormonal changes in thyroid or prolactin hormones.

Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis. Complete hemogram. Lipid profile. LFT (liver function test). RFT (renal function test). 75 g glucose tolerance test (fasting/ 1 hour / 2 hour). HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) level. Serum calcium, vitamin D and B12 levels. Serum fasting and post prandial insulin levels. Serum FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), LH (leutenizing hormone), free testosterone, estradiol, prolactin levels, thyroid profile (T3, T4, TSH, Anti TPO) on second or third day of the next menstrual period.

PCOS.

Tablet Meprate or Deviry 10 mg twice daily for five days and then stop. To wait for withdrawal bleed within next 7-10 days. To get blood tests done on second or third day of periods.

Reduce weight. Maintain menstrual diary. Regular exercises at least one hour daily. Lifestyle and dietary modifications.

| 

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »

I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. Can IUD be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. I also have premenstrual spotting, followed by three days of profuse bleeding. I got an IUCD placed ten years back. I use Minoxidil 5 % for topical application, since three months, but I stopped it 15 days back. I have a history of vitamin ...  Read Full »