Q. I consume a lot of alcohol and I want to overcome this. What should be done?

Dr. Prashanth
Published on May 09, 2018

I am a 21-year-old married female. I have been suffering from anger and anxiety issues since last one year. I also did online counseling which benefitted me a lot. Now my anger and anxiety are under control. But during the time when my problem was at its peak, I developed a liking for alcohol which I am not able to overcome. I consume about 180 mL of alcohol at once and often two to three times a month. I am scared that it will cause irreparable damage to my mental and physical health. My therapist advised me to divert myself in some other activity when the craving develops. I do this for some days but after that, I fall prey to my temptations. I do not know what to do. Please advise me.

Dr. Prashanth

Psychiatry
#

I went through your query and appreciate you for realizing the problem and being motivated to quit.

• Counseling will help you along with the following.
  1. Relaxation exercise.
  2. When the temptation is at peak, drink juice or water full stomach.
  3. Divert your mind to other activities which you find interesting like games or work.
  4. Counseling and psychotherapy including hypnotherapy would help.
  • If you need medicine, you can revert back for complete evaluation and medicine.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Any other suggestion would be highly appreciated. How long will it take for me to quit?

Dr. Prashanth

Psychiatry
#

• Counseling, relaxation exercise and medicines will help. This would help you in improving your motivation.

Is there any medicine to overcome the effects of alcohol?

Query: Hi doctor, I am contacting you regarding an uncle of mine. He is 40 years old. His health issues are related to alcohol (beer). He drinks quite a few times a week. When he starts drinking, he drinks a few liters before stopping. He also smokes, but only sometimes. He finds heavy breathing after ju...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Alcoholism is now acknowledged as a disease that requires a combined treatment (medications, psychological and social intervention). Medications to increase tolerance of the patient to alcohol as Iomazenil are not very much recommended as they tend to increase the patien...  Read Full

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

My heart beats fast and eyes become red if I drink alcohol. Is there a treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,My heartbeat raises and the eyes become very red and I become tired when I take alcohol. Why does this happen so? And, what is the treatment?  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The alcohol ingested is metabolized in the liver and converted to acetaldehyde. This takes place in the liver. The variations in the effect of alcohol in different people take place because of the difference in the genetics of enzymes called alcohol dehydrogenases (A...  Read Full