Q. I consume a lot of alcohol and I want to overcome this. What should be done?

Dr. Prashanth
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I am a 21-year-old married female. I have been suffering from anger and anxiety issues since last one year. I also did online counseling which benefitted me a lot. Now my anger and anxiety are under control. But during the time when my problem was at its peak, I developed a liking for alcohol which I am not able to overcome. I consume about 180 mL of alcohol at once and often two to three times a month. I am scared that it will cause irreparable damage to my mental and physical health. My therapist advised me to divert myself in some other activity when the craving develops. I do this for some days but after that, I fall prey to my temptations. I do not know what to do. Please advise me.

#

I went through your query and appreciate you for realizing the problem and being motivated to quit.

• Counseling will help you along with the following.
  1. Relaxation exercise.
  2. When the temptation is at peak, drink juice or water full stomach.
  3. Divert your mind to other activities which you find interesting like games or work.
  4. Counseling and psychotherapy including hypnotherapy would help.
  • If you need medicine, you can revert back for complete evaluation and medicine.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Any other suggestion would be highly appreciated. How long will it take for me to quit?

#

• Counseling, relaxation exercise and medicines will help. This would help you in improving your motivation.

|