Q. I consume a lot of alcohol and I want to overcome this. What should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Prashanth
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 21-year-old married female. I have been suffering from anger and anxiety issues since last one year. I also did online counseling which benefitted me a lot. Now my anger and anxiety are under control. But during the time when my problem was at its peak, I developed a liking for alcohol which I am not able to overcome. I consume about 180 mL of alcohol at once and often two to three times a month. I am scared that it will cause irreparable damage to my mental and physical health. My therapist advised me to divert myself in some other activity when the craving develops. I do this for some days but after that, I fall prey to my temptations. I do not know what to do. Please advise me.



Welcome to

I went through your query and appreciate you for realizing the problem and being motivated to quit.

  • Counseling will help you along with the following.
  1. Relaxation exercise.
  2. When the temptation is at peak, drink juice or water full stomach.
  3. Divert your mind to other activities which you find interesting like games or work.
  4. Counseling and psychotherapy including hypnotherapy would help.
  • If you need medicine, you can revert back for complete evaluation and medicine.


For more information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Thank you doctor,

Any other suggestion would be highly appreciated. How long will it take for me to quit?



Welcome back to

  • Counseling, relaxation exercise and medicines will help. This would help you in improving your motivation.


For more information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can anxiety and stress cause frequent urination?

I use to get those episodes every few months when I had stress but since I got the fear it might never go away I get it almost daily now ... Can anxiety cause polyuria like this clear urine when I am stressed ...   Read full

Can multiple myeloma be misdiagnosed over chronic alcoholism?

.. can strongly suggest myeloma; however, marrow biopsy is needed. But, one can fairly be sure about the diagnosis. Before starting treatment one will need the bone marrow biopsy. Also, bony lesion if visible on x-ray, then one may proceed without MR...   Read full

How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

.. the alcohol, firstly you need to take him to nearby deaddiction center. You need to talk to him regarding the harmful consequences like liver damage which has now begun. You need to take him into confidence and take him to deaddiction center. Ther...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Nipah Virus: Stay Safe from This Deadly Disease
The recent speculation about the spread of the Nipah virus in a Southern State in India has surely brought jittery feeli...  Read more»
What to Do When Someone Turns COVID-Positive At Home?
COVID-19 pandemic has affected so many people, and many of them are advised for home care. This article explains the pre...  Read more»
Guidelines for Management of COVID-19 In Children
Amidst the concerns that children will be the target in the third wave of COVID-19, they have come up with certain guide...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.