Q. Suggest me medicines to control alcohol drinking.

Dr. Ananth S
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 10, 2018

My father drinks alcohol heavily every day and behaves very rashly at home. Please suggest some tablets to control alcohol drinking.

#

I have some questions. How old is your dad? How heavy is his drinking? How long has he been drinking?

To quit alcohol, the person has to firmly decide to do it. He should join an alcoholic recovery group. To reduce cravings, I suggest medications such as Acamprosate or Naltrexone. We can also try using Antabuse Disulfiram to make it unpleasant for him to drink. Most alcoholics are depressed and should be concomitantly given antidepressants.

|