Q. Kindly suggest medicine for a better control of diabetes.

Dr. Shazli Naseer
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am diabetic from last six years and taking Pioplus 2, K-vog once in a day. My Hba1C rest is on 8.9, and random sugar is 236. Please suggest me medicine for better control.

Do you have a question on Control Diabetes or Diabetic Diet?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shazli Naseer

DIABETES FELLOWSHIP - EASTERN CAROLINA UNIVERSITY ., AMERICAN BOARD OF FAMILY MEDICINE ., FAMILY MEDICINE
Diabetology

I need some more information such as your age, weight, kidney function, fasting blood sugar, and post-meal blood sugar or bedtime blood sugar to answer your question. At least done three days per week. And I need a two-week log. That will help me choose the best medicine for you.But from current review, the following is recommended,

1. Start with diet control, and it is a must. Avoid any sugary drinks, including soda, sweets, tea, and juices. Cut back on flour and sugar. No items with concentrated sugar. Cut back on rice, potato, pasta, roti, and bread only eat small portion daily.

2. You are on the maximum amount of medicine. Your doctor may have to cut back on some pills and instead at one bedtime dose of insulin-like Lantus, or Levemir. If your blood sugar is not controlled on so many medicines, it needs a change of treatment for sure. You are more than welcome to request detail consult, and I will be able to suggest you the right plan.

What type of diet has to be followed in type 2 diabetes?
Query: Hello doctor, I have type 2 diabetes. I am 29 years old. My height is 5'7" and weight is 58 kg. 34 days back I gave blood tests. My fasting blood sugar was 313, postprandial 599, HbA1c-14.9, T3 109.6, T4-12.30, vitamin D-6.2 and TSH-2.29. After five days, I consulted a doctor and he gave me medicin...  Read Full >>
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I am surprised why have you stopped taking medicines? Medication does not cure diabetes; they control it and hence do keep continuing medications. Coming to your diabetic diet: You need to eat food in small quantities, but frequently. Avoid sweets and ...  Read Full

What diet can be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level in a diabetic?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a male, 68 years old, diabetic, with chronic kidney disease, and creatinine level 5.96. What diet should be given to prevent dialysis and control creatinine level?  Read Full >>
Dr. Shazli Naseer
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reviewing the laboratory results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the patient has already developed significant damage, creatinine is too high and has already secondary hyperparathyroidism. Type 2 diabetes with renal complication. Dialysis is unavoidabl...  Read Full

Can a diabetic patient have brown rice?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My height is 6 feet height and weight is 90 kg. I have been a hypertensive for the past ten years. My fasting sugar generally comes in the range of 100 to 130; PP 140 to 170 and A1c level is 6.6. Should I start medicine for this? For hypertension I am taking Losar...  Read Full >>
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your levels are indicating that you are diabetic. But, the values are not that high enough to start on medications. I recommend you to start diabetic diet and exercise regularly. Also, repeat your fasting blood sugar (FBS), postprandial blood sugar (PPBS), and Hb...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now