Q. I am terrified that coronavirus will infect me through a paper cut on my thumb. Please help.

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I am really scared about touching things in general because of the Coronavirus, but I also have a paper cut on my thumb and want to check if it is possible to contract it through it getting through my cut? That is not possible, right? I am so scared of touching anything. I am scared to get up or even make a cup of tea because I am so scared of touching anything. I feel stressed and exhausted and need help. I feel utterly terrified and can hardly think of anything other than germs.

Any help would be appreciated.

#

Well, there has been no evidence suggesting parenteral transmission. Its entry into the body has been largely suggested to occur through mucus membranes of the nose, mouth, and conjunctiva. In any case, if a person happens to pick a virus, even if it does not enter through blood, it is likely to enter through the mouth or nose, or eyes. Luckily the virus is susceptible to even common disinfectants. So thorough decontamination of the objects once followed by regular handwashing eliminates almost all the risk. Being cautious is good; however, being overly concerned is not right at this point where you are already stressed. Just maintain proper hygiene. There is nothing to worry about.

|