Q. I have occasional mild cough and concerned about Coronavirus infection. Please help.

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

I have been suffering from mild cough for the past two months. I consulted my general physician she asked me to go for chest x-ray and CBC. Chest x-ray is normal only and ESR showed 85. I have no fever and no sore throat. Appetite is also normal. Doctor prescribed me antiallergic tablets also and cough syrup like Tossex which I have finished two bottles. Cough is mild sometimes it is not there the entire day sometimes I am experiencing in the evening time. I am extremely irritated because this Coronavirus episode also going on. I am not going anywhere I am at home since last 15 days. I am taking multivitamin Imactive women daily one capsule, and also taking turmeric tea. Occasionally I take steam. Please help me I am fed up of taking these medicines and tests. Mild cough and Coronavirus fear is killing me.

#

I understand your concern. Let us first list some of the common symptoms of Coronavirus infection. Fever, cough dry, shortness of breath. Mild cough with no fever is not quite under criteria. Though any cough for more than three weeks should be diagnosed, but this does not look to me like Coronavirus.

What will help me more to understand if you have travel history or have you come in contact with someone who has been sick? Understand that it is easy to get worried at this time, but it could be COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), allergic cough which comes without fever.

No travel history. I have not come into contact with anyone who got infected.

#

The anxiety is real and it is normal to feel anxious and worried for anyone with upper respiratory infection or symptoms will be worried. The symptoms of Coronavirus are high-grade fever, dry cough, fatigue.

With your history, it looks more like a dry allergic cough, but more history like travel or if you have been in contact with any sick person can contribute to proper diagnosis, Coronavirus is a like a normal flu virus, younger people should be able to come out of it just by staying in isolation and taking symptomatic treatment. In case there is fever or breathlessness then they should report to a nearby doctor for further assessment, but for you I would recommend that, stay indoor, maintain distance with outer people until cough suppress.

Take proper diet, continue anti-allergic medication, it looks like an allergic cough. It should suppress in four to six weeks times, make sure you are not in contact with dust or mites. Indoor pollution is also an aggravating factor, try to consume vitamin C rich products.

|