Q. My RT-PCR test for COVID is negative, yet I have had a cough with phlegm for the past month. Why?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have had my cough with phlegm for almost a month now. I have had two swab tests already, and both got negative for COVID results. What can I do to be relieved of my cough? I am taking Ascof Lagundi, and in the past, I used to take Solmux. Kindly help me.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a cough with phlegm for almost a month. Your RT-PCR (reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction) for COVID-19 tests were negative.

Cough with phlegm for a month may result from pneumonia, allergies, bronchitis, bronchiectasis, gastroesophageal reflux disease GERD, asthma, etc.

Treatment depends on causes. You can undergo some investigations like chest X-ray P/A (posteroanterior view), CT (computed tomography)or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the chest, CBC (complete blood count) with circulating eosinophil, etc., to find out the exact cause for your present suffering and then treat them accordingly.

In the meantime, I suggest you take the following medication:

1) Tablet Zithromax 500 mg (Azithromycin), one tablet in the morning and night for seven to ten days.

2) Tabket Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine), one tablet in the night for ten to fouteen days.

3) Tablet Singulair 10 mg (Montelukast), one tablet in the night for 15 to 30 days.

4) Tablet Dilatair 200 mg (Doxofylline), one tablet in the night for 15 to 30 days after meals.

Above mentioned medications, along with Ascof Lagundi (Chrysoplenol-D), will help to subside your cough with phlegm.

Take care. In case of any other queries, please ask me.

Can you write me a prescription for the above-mentioned medications, as they will be needed in the pharmacy? Kindly help me.

#

You can take the medications after consulting your local doctor, and they will give you the prescription.

I hope this was helpful.

|