Q. What is the treatment for cough and cold in a 4-year-old?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My 4-year-old boy is suffering from cold and cough. His symptoms are,

1) Choked nose (not running).

2) Time to time heavy coughing,

3) No temperature.

Suffering from last three days. Started with light cold, but today heavy voice and frequent coughing.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics

It is a common cold due to viral infection, but as you have said that cough is increased now so it may be normal or it may be complications. The common complications are viral pneumonia (self-limiting), and another one is croup. The second one is having problems and characterized by a sick looking child and barking cough.

If your child is not sick looking and breathing is normal and no fever, you need to apply nasaoclear drops in the nose every two hourly along with cough syrup (one teaspoon three times a day). It will subside by the time. If he is sick looking and fever is increased breathing, then you need to visit your nearest physician. Then we need to give antibiotics. You can ask specifically if needed.

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Magesh T
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Just saw your letter that you been having a difficulty breathing and you are concerned about pneumonia. I would like to get some more information in terms of fever, difficulty breathing, bringing up sputum. Is it yellow color or white color. If you are having all the sy...  Read Full

Does coughing up blood mean cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I was a smoker for four and half years. Six months back, I got my chest X-ray, and my reports were normal. Then I was an intermittent smoker, and I caught a cough. It was dry. I did not care and did not take medications for it, but within a week, it increased. So when I took medicatio...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blood is coming out while blowing nose is quite common and does not mean cancer always. During weather change and dry seasons, it is quite possible that the nasal mucosa gets dries and abraded and bleeds once a while till it heals completely. Smoking is very serious ...  Read Full

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have attached shows slightly enlarged tonsils with granular pharyngitis. There is nothing to worry. Your symptoms are due to chronic irritation of your throat which could be due to rhinosinusitis o...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now