Q. Is it safe for children and pregnant lady to travel in a flight during COVID-19 pandemic?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2020

My partner is looking to take my 5 and 7 years old sons to Denver, CO from Orlando for a destination wedding in August. They will be flying, staying in multiple hotels, rental cars, participating in recreational activities in Denver, along with almost 20 other people that have traveled from Orlando to Denver. Orlando is a large COVID-19 hot spot and Denver has seen a recent spike as well, along with being in a safer at home order. There will be no be social distancing during the entire trip and will be indoors with them often as well. My youngest has a tree nut allergy that gives him an anaphylactic response, along with seasonal allergies that cause him to be congested and nasally more often than not. Is this trip in the best interests of the children's health right now? I am pregnant, will it be risky for me to come in contact with them upon their return as well?

#

I understand your concern.

COVID-19, the risk of spread of infection increases with being outdoor. Attending gathering and in associating with close contacts. Taking in account present travel and hot spots in cities. The risk of catching COVID-19 infection will be high. Though in children's majority of them have milder symptoms, but they can spread infection.

Pregnancy is considered to be an immunocompromised state and the risk of catching an infection is high. If you come in contact with other family members who recently traveled and having COVID-19 (even asymptomatic), your chance of getting COVID-19 infection will be very high. Best Policy to stay protected is to be indoor, avoid contacts, maintain social distance, and follow strict personal hygiene.

| 

Why am I having raised blood pressure on going to hospital?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to consult regarding my situation, my blood pressure is normal but everytime I go to clinic or hospital I feel nervous so my blood pressure becomes high. Any recommendations or medication on this? Is it safe to go back to work while the COVID-19 pandemic is still on going? ...  Read Full »

Dental Health During COVID-19 Lockdown

Article Overview: COVID-19 outbreak and lockdown have hit oral health in more ways than one. This article discusses dental health issues in lockdown during COVID-19 and how they can be prevented. Read Article

The world is currently suffering from the COVID-19 pandemic. There is no treatment yet available for this highly contagious infection. The only effective way that most countries have adopted is lockdown and isolation to prevent the rapid spread of the disease. Although this strategy is helping in co...  Read Article

Deadly Coronavirus - Everything You Need to Know

Article Overview: This is a short write-up about the pandemic COVID-19 that is raging through the world and causing innumerable deaths. The article brings out some instructions on how to keep safe during these times. It also discusses some medical terms which have become common parlance. Additionally, the article advises you on how to keep yourself and loved ones safe. Read Article

Infectious Diseases Specialist

In these times when coronavirus is raging through the world, killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people, and, at the other end we have thousands of online forwards and memes tickling our collar bone. It is wise if we can take a moment, sit back, read and understand what exactly is happening ar...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»