Q. I am allergic to Quinolones. Can I get the COVID vaccine?

Dr. Jebin Abraham

I have a query regarding my allergic reaction to the Quinolone group of medicine, namely Norfloxacin and Ofloxacin, which I suffered three times. Every time at the same place on the back, below lips, and penis shaft. Reoccurrence was more painful than the previous one. The third time I consulted a dermatologist who administered Kenacort injection and Wysolone plus, and then it was less inflammatory and painful and got healed within one week. Another point is I have every month a feeling of breathlessness and feels short of full inhalation have to do chest breathing, and it goes away in three to four days. Sometimes taking antihistamines relieves me in this case. These are my two concerns, and I am scared about taking the COVID vaccine, especially the Covishield vaccine. Can you please guide me on whether I should take the COVID vaccine, preferably Covishield? Or should I wait for some more time? Kindly help me.

#

Quinolone allergy and Covishield are in no way related as such. But, since you have a history of moderate allergic reaction to a drug, it is more likely that you may get a similar or severe reaction to the COVID vaccine compared to any other person. But, usually, it will not happen. But, you have to try and see.

If you had taken any other vaccine before, like TT (Tetanus Toxoid), Hep-B (Hepatitis B) vaccine, etc., and had no allergy, then definitely you can try the COVID vaccine as well (at your own risk). Practically, you can talk with a doctor at your preferred vaccination center regarding the facility to manage an allergic reaction, if at all happens. If your doctor is confident to take a risk, you can do it. I generally prefer not to give the vaccine in cases like yours. It is an individual choice. I hope this helps you.

|