Q. Is the COVID-19 vaccine indicated for a patient with BP, diabetes, and thyroid problem?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

Whether high BP, diabetic, and thyroid patient can take COVID vaccine or any blood-thinning medicine is required? She takes the following medication Telmikind 40, Cetapin-XR, and Pentaloc 40. I am attaching the blood reports. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Hello.

Yes, she can take the COVID vaccine. The blood reports are within normal limits (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) except for a slight increase in TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). I am not sure if she is on any medications for the same (it is not mentioned in the medication list). Diabetes and hypertensive patients are prioritized for COVID vaccination.

Usually, blood-thinning medications are not advised for all taking COVID vaccination. It is only for selected few patients who have certain underlying medical conditions. Does she have a history of any cardiac diseases? Any history of stroke? Is she currently on any blood-thinning medications? Please let me know your answers to suggest appropriately.

She is not taking any thyroid medicine. As it has been detected in the current test, other BP, diabetic medicine is going on. No cardiac issues with her. Kindly suggest some medicine for the thyroid. And whether she can continue the medication after the vaccine? Kindly give your opinion.

#

As she has no other medical conditions and diabetes and BP (blood pressure) medications are ongoing, please go ahead and take the COVID vaccine.

Almost 30% of patients with diabetes also will have some thyroid problems, especially females. I need to know more about thyroid-related symptoms before suggesting any medications. The dose actually depends on thyroid-related symptoms or signs that the patient may have. Also, I cannot prescribe medications as health query as per telemedicine guidelines. I suggest scheduling a video consultation with me if you are fine for a detailed evaluation and prescription. I hope this was helpful.

|