Q. My mother is 56-year-old and has rheumatoid arthritis. Can she take the COVID vaccine?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My mother aging 56-year-old, has rheumatoid arthritis for almost seven years. She also has high blood pressure for 20 years. She has got an appointment for a the COVID-19 vaccine in a few days. I wondered if it is reasonably safe for her to get the vaccine given her condition, which I explain below.

Medicines that she is taking include:

1) Valzomix 5/80.

2) Leflunomide 20 (Lerava).

3) Magnesium 300.

4) Calcium Citrate.

5) Omega-3.

6) Atorvastatin 20

I am attaching her latest test report. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I went through your report (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). It is absolutely safe to get the COVID vaccine, and for the patient with rheumatoid arthritis, it is mandatory to get vaccinated as early as possible because these patients are on immunosuppressive therapy and are prone to severe covid.

I hope this was helpful.

Thank You.

Would it be better that my mother stop some of her medications before and/or after getting the vaccine? Or should she continue taking her medications?

Kindly give your opinion.

#

She can continue the medications for rheumatoid arthritis. However, if she is taking any NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) that has to be stopped.

I hope it was helpful. Please get back if you have any further doubts.

|