Q. My MPV is slightly high, and I have Vitamin D3 deficiency. Can I get the COVID vaccine?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I had not got blood work in quite some time. My BMI is 34.4, and I am Vitamin D deficient 12ng/mL (sufficient should be greater than 30 by this test). All of my values on my CBC were in the normal range with the exception of MPV, which was 12.6 (0.1 higher than the normal range of 7.0 to 12.5). The laboratory did not do a smear. I guess because it was only 0.1 high. I started taking Vitamin D3 and started a diet and exercise plan, lost approximately 14 lbs so far. I am obsessing over this 0.1, even though I know several things, including low Vitamin D3, anxiety, obesity, etc., can affect MPV to the high side. I need to get my COVID vaccine. However, after reading about some people having clotting or platelet issues, I am now anxious about the MPV being slightly elevated. Would there be any reason this would cause a problem with getting the vaccine? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Do not worry about borderline MPV (mean platelet volume) value. A high MPV value is significant only when the platelet count is low. Your platelet count is normal as per history. MPV is an indicator of platelet volume or size. So, do not worry about slight borderline high MPV. Be relax about that if all other values like a platelet, Hb (hemoglobin), RBC (red blood cell), and total count are within the limit.

With this MPV value, you can take the vaccine. Borderline MPV value is no contraindication for taking the vaccine. It has not been proven that any of the COVID vaccines cause direct clot formation in the body. So COVID vaccine should be taken if you got that opportunity. I have also taken the COVID vaccine. Do not worry. Meanwhile, lose weight, do regular exercise, continue Vitamin D intake and expose yourself for five to ten minutes sunlight exposure before 10 AM.

I hope this was helpful.

Yes, all other CBC blood work was fine. The only other thing that was somewhat elevated was my cholesterol which was 224 total. HDL and Triglycerides were in the normal range. However, the LDL was 143, which should be less than 100. So I am working on that with diet modification. I have severe anxiety, and I guess that I just want to make sure that I should be good to go with the vaccine. Kindly give your opinion.

#

For high cholesterol, you can try dietary changes and exercise. If it does not help, then medicine for high cholesterol can be started. After reading your history, you can take the vaccine as per my opinion. So, do not worry. And do not be anxious. You are obese, so your cholesterol is high. With weight reduction, cholesterol values will fall within the limit. I hope this was helpful.

I will get back if I have further doubts.

#

Take care. Please get back if you have further doubts.

|