Q. Is it fine to take the Hepatitis B vaccine if I take the COVID-19 vaccine?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I have to take a Hepatitis B vaccine for traveling abroad. I also have a slot booked for the Covishield vaccine. Is it fine to take the Hepatitis B vaccine if I take the COVID-19 vaccine? What is the duration of the gap between these two vaccines?

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have to take the Hepatitis B vaccine for traveling abroad. You also have to take the Covishield vaccine for the COVID-19 virus too.

There is no evidence to suggest that the COVID-19 vaccines like Covishield impact the Hepatitis B vaccine. Like all other vaccines, the COVID vaccines like Covishield are safe for people who have already taken the Hepatitis B vaccine or have to take the Hepatitis B vaccine like you.

But, it is not currently recommended to get the COVID-19 vaccine-like Covishield around the same time as other vaccinations. It is because both Hepatitis B and COVID vaccines are equally important. However, it is recommended that you wait 14 days between a COVID vaccine and any other vaccine, including the Hepatitis B vaccinations or the flu vaccinations.

Because if you take both Hepatitis B vaccine and Covishield at the same time, your Hepatitis B vaccine will still work, but it may not work quite as well as it would if you have separate vaccine administration by at least two to three weeks.

Take care. I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|