Q. Can the increase in my eosinophils be due to COVID-19 vaccine?

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

I had a blood test done three months ago, and it was normal. But a week back, I had another one because of a stomach ulcer, and the doctor wanted to rule out gallstones, pancreatitis, etc. My WBC was 10.9, and my eosinophils were high. The only thing I did was getting the COVID-19 vaccines. Can it be due to that?

#

Commonly, eosinophils are raised in allergic reactions and worm infestation, and rarely it is a part of some malignant process (but it is extremely rare). Yes, it can be seen elevated post-vaccine if there is some anaphylactic reaction. Flu can also raise eosinophils. Get IgE (Immunoglobulin E), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), stool sample culture tests done, and get back.

I have attached my blood reports.

#

Welcome back to iclinq.com.

Yes, everything in the reports (attachment removed to protect patient's identity) is fine except eosinophils, which are quite high. Please get LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase test), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), IgE (Immunoglobulin E), CRP (C-reactive protein), stool culture sample tests, and get back to us.

Why should I do all these tests? As you said it is normal to have this after a COVID-19 vaccine? I had an inflamed lymph node six days after the vaccine on the collar bone and neck on the same side of the injection site.

#

It is better to repeat CBC (complete blood count) test after four weeks. If eosinophils persist the same, then the reason should be investigated.

|