Q. How can I help my brother with COVID-19 at home?

Dr. Zubayeralam

My brother is 37 years old and has been diagnosed with COVID-19. He is having a continuous fever ranging from 102-104 degrees Celcius and oxygen level varying from 92- 96. He is in-home quarantine. Everyday symptoms are changing, and on day one, he had a high fever, body ache, headache. He has a high fever, body ache, diarrhea (4-5 times loose motion), and weakness on day two. On day three, he has a high fever reduced after medicine to 101-102 degrees Celcius, weakness, and on day four, high fever reduced after medicine to 101-102 degrees Celcius, weakness, cough. On day five, high fever reduced after medicine to 101-102 degrees Celcius, weakness, cough, and uneasiness (Ghabrahat). He was given tablet Paracetamol from day one (every 6 hours) and tablet Azithromycin. He also took steam one to two times a day. I have attached the blood reports. Please help us.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your brother has been suffering from COVID-19. As Covid-19 mainly attacks the respiratory tract, so cough may be noticed as diseases progress. Initially, dry cough may appear, then cough becomes intractable and ultimately develop pneumonia. According to your investigation reports that are provided here (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), serum cholesterol and triglycerides levels are high above normal. If his cough persists or he suffers from respiratory distress, then he should undergo HRCT (high-resolution CT) of the chest to exclude COVID pneumonia. In the meantime, he can take antihistamines and vitamin D enriched foods or supplements along with his current medications. Monitor his oxygen saturation rate and blood level regularly. For his raised cholesterol and triglycerides level, avoid oily, fatty, and dairy products and repeat lipid profile tests three months later. Gurgle with salt mixed lukewarm water 3-4 times daily and take green tea.

Is there anything to worry about or need hospitalization based on the blood report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity)? CRP (C-reactive protein) is really high as 23 mg/l. Based on the two blood reports, is COVID increasing or decreasing? Do we see any more severe symptoms going forward?

#

According to the present blood reports, there are no abnormalities that he is needed to hospitalize. CRP (C-reactive protein) is 23 mg/l and is above normal that indicates ongoing infection or inflammation. During any type of infection or inflammation, CRP may be raised. After subsiding the COVID-19, CRP will go back to its normal value over time. As CRP is an acute-phase protein, it will be raised when any type of infection or inflammation occurs in the body. The report does not indicate whether the ongoing COVID-19 is improving or increasing. Physical well-being is the main factor. If your patient is feeling better now, having no respiratory distress, regain his taste, etc. If your patient's oxygen saturation level declines below 92% by a pulse oximeter, then she should be hospitalized for oxygen inhalation.

|