Q. I am hypertensive with grade 1 diastolic dysfunction. Is it safe for me to go out during COVID-19?

I am having a history of hypertension for the last 13 years. My BMI is around 39 and recently I found grade 1 diastolic dysfunction. What is your advice on going out to the office? As I am working in a bank and it comes under essential services. What precautions should I take against COVID-19?

#

Certainly, you fall into hig-risk category and prevention is very important in your case, so ideally you should avoid going to bank or outside as much as possible. But this may not be possible for essential service providers like you, doctors. If you could not manage to stay home then take full precautions like using mask all the time, keeping distance from all the individuals, using sanitizer frequently, etc.

If your BP is remaining above 140/90 mmHg for most of the times then you need to get some more medications added like tablet Cilinidipine 10 mg once or twice daily depending upon the requirement. Also, LDL cholesterol of 181 is too much elevated and you need to be on medication for it as well along with healthy lifestyle like tablet Rosuvastatin 10 mg bedtime for eight weeks. So, you need to take full precautions as you fall into high risk category.

Even though I am in essential services, I can be on leave and no issues in that. There is no compulsion to go. It is a choice. I therefore request a medical certificate if you consider me to stay at home.

#

Yes, if you could stay home then it would be fine. And this has to be managed on personal level as there are no provisions or guidelines for any such certificate for prevention of disease. You will not be able to avail sick leave as you are not sick per se. At maximum, you can show the above conversation to your managers so they may consider leave for you or minimizing the duty.

|